Chapter 1. Welcome to the human race.

In the following days, I asked one of my attendants, Sophie, to look out for books on raising children and taking care of babies. I knew I could trust her to be discreet, she was the only attendants that had come with me when I married, and she had been working for me since she was just a kid. The other attendants would try to insist in me letting them take care of the baby, but I didn't want to let her alone even for a moment. And about the books, there wasn't really anything that I didn't already knew from my previous live, except maybe some first aid procedures that I took the time to memorize. The understanding of infant psychology in this world was... lacking, to say it in kind words. My own wasn't that much better, though. I would have to figure things on my own.

At the moment, I was "confined" to my room, as my attendants had caught sight of me walking a bit too much, which they told me it was dangerous. The birth had been difficult, but I remember hearing one could walk after a day or two. I was feeding Violett, while trying to remember as much as I could do from my past live. Stories about people traveling to other worlds had the recurrent theme of them helping with their advanced knowledge, bringing machines and mechanism and such, so I consider doing it too, but it was more difficult than expected. I knew how several things worked, but there were lots of individual parts I didn't know the specifics, or I was unaware of a few steps on their development. I was very grateful that sickness could be cured with magic, and that with my status getting a doctor wasn't a problem, because I had no idea how to make soap or antibiotics.

I was getting lost on that train of thoughts, when a pain in my chest brought me back to reality. Violett was being too forceful, so to speak, and it was starting to hurt. I took her away and looked at her eyes; she seemed almost offended that I had interrupted her meal, and even started to shake her arms and legs in a little tantrum. She wasn't even a week old, and she was already becoming a spoiled kid. I needed to be stricter with her, but... well, she was still just a baby. And she was absolutely adorable, even when burrowing her tiny eyebrows. I kissed her forehead and placed her so she could drink from my other breast. At that moment, someone knocked on the door.

—Madame, I brought your lunch —Sophie said from the other side.

—Come in, please.

I had thought she was going to bring me something light, like she had been doing these past days, but now she was pushing a trolley full of plates. She must have read the surprise in my face.

—Might you excuse me, madame, it looked like you weren't being fulfilled by the amount of your previous meals, so I took the liberty of bringing you plenty this time. Should I return it to the kitchen?

—No way! —I said, almost drooling due to the delicious smell. I bit my tongue. She was right; I was practically starving at that point, only having eaten soft and mushy food in minuscule quantities. Even so, that wasn't enough reason to regress to my previous life's customs; I had been raised to always act like a lady— I mean, that won't be necessary. If anything, you could have asked me to go to the dining hall, it is pretty far from here to have you push the trolley all the way from the kitchen.

There was also a set of stairs between both rooms, Sophie was incredible resourceful when she wanted to be.

—It was better than leaving the Madame walking all the way to there. Maybe after eating this you might recover enough strength.

—Then I'll thank you for your consideration — I said with a smile.

Violett was already drowsy by that point, so I made her burp, and put her on the cradle that I had asked to be placed next to my bed. Sophie handed me a tray with legs, so I could eat without having to get up, but just after I had placed a few plates and a glass of water over it, I saw Violett throwing me a glare.