Chapter 4. Childhood friend.

I twirled a bit in front of the mirror, satisfied with the rather simple, light green-tinted, dress that Sophie has chosen for me, with a long-wing sun hat with a cute flower as decoration. Of course, I had to wear the facemask and gloves, but if I only had dark glasses, I would look like an incognito celebrity.

—How do I look? —I asked to the two attendants that were in the room with me.

—It suits you very well, madame —Sophie said, showering me with unconditional support as always.

—It's decent enough —Carmila dryly added.

That was fine, as long as she didn't outright rejected it, I knew I wouldn't be embarrassing Violett.

—Now, for today's special feature, the cutest baby of the whole country! —I picked her up from her crib and presented her to the audience.

She was wearing a light blue dress, a bit too fluffy and with a few too many ribbons. She also had matching mittens and socks, and a hat similar to mine.

—Approved —Carmila said, a hint of a smile drawn on her face.

—So cute~ —Sophie added.

I agreed with that sentiment, but...

—Isn't it a bit too much? —I asked.

I had chosen the attire mostly by myself, but I was staring to fear I was falling into the same vice that the maids from my old home had.

—Babies are meant to be dressed like this, like puffy marshmallows—Sophie said—. We'll take her opinion on consideration once she is a bit more grown up.

That made me feel relief, and now we were finally ready to leave. Yes, we. Carmila had chosen unilaterally that I had to be accompanied by a group of attendants.

—It is too dangerous to leave a noble woman as yourself alone in the city, even in broad daylight. Besides, we can help you carry whatever you might buy, and help you take care of Violet, and...

—It's fine, I understand.

—Huh? —Carmila seems really confused by my reply.

I would really like to be able to move freely, but I wasn't going to risk Violett just for being stubborn. Also, it was true that I would be going to need help carrying all the stuff, considering the list I had wrote the night before. We might even have to ask the goods to be delivered at our home, even if it could take a couple of days for them to arrive. Our transport had a limited size, only being able to carry six person maximum, and a bit of luggage on the back.

—Four of us will go with you —Carmila said once she had regained her composure—. That means me, of course, and I suspect you will like to take Miss Sophie along too.

The other two were Iridia and Nora, the latter who had been a guard for some time before starting to work for my late husband. She was still carrying a sword with her all the time, and was quite proficient with it. She was our expedition group's unofficial bodyguard.

—You can relax and enjoy your trip, Madame, I'll make sure both you and your daughter are safe —Nora said, this was probably the first time I had spoken to her directly.

—I'll be counting on you, then.

Another maid came and whispered something to Carmila. She looked a bit shaken up.

—Er, Madame, as requested, Mr. Adrian is ready whenever you would like to depart —Carmila said.

—Oh! Then let's go to the pier right now.