Chapter 6. Strawberry fields forever.

In any other circumstance, I would be delighted to be able to walk through the market district of Byzandria, our capital city. It was a busy meeting place for every kind of business, with shops full of products both national and from very far and mysterious places. High end stores of all kinds, as well as food stalls in the streets, I just loved it all. But at that moment, I was too worried about Gaius' absence in the game.

It would be one thing if he was an illegitimate child or even the younger brother; they could have kept him for the sequel. But he being the eldest was a problem, as in the game, Julius was declared as the one who would became the future king without any challenger. For that to happen, Gaius would have to lose his claim to the throne and vanished entirely from this world.

I was so focused on my worries that I almost bumped into someone while walking through the busy streets. I stopped just in time, but I lost my balance and started to fall back. Sophie and the other attendants tried to catch me, but the person who I almost hit was who managed to hold me first, grabbing me by the shoulders.

—Madame, are you alright? —Carmila asked.

—Y-yes. Thank you —I said, feeling a bit of relief.

I was still carrying Violett on my arms, so when I felt like I was starting to fall, I had held her tightly and braced for impact. I didn't know what I would do if something were to happen to her.

—Madame Dragonroot... —I heard a familiar voice, and a shiver ran through my back.

I looked up and, as I feared, the doctor Maxwell Conrad was right in front of me. And as I expected, for the next five minutes, he nagged me for being so careless and almost hurting Violett. I couldn't disagree with him at all.

—Lastly, when you are walking through crowded places like these streets, let your maids surround you. That way you'll avoid crashing into someone even if you are not paying attention.

—Ah, I see, I got it —I said, trying to avoid the glare of Carmila, who had suggested us to do just that a few minutes earlier.

He didn't seem satisfied with my answer, and looked like he was about to recriminate me for that as well.

—B-by the way, what business might have brought you to the market district this day? —I said, trying to change the subject.

He looked at me with his eyes slightly narrowed, as if guessing my intentions without doing any effort. He let out a sight after a couple of seconds.

—I was supposed to give the Queen a check up on her pregnancy...

—Oh! You are attending Erz- I mean, her Majesty as well? —that wasn't that much of a surprise, he was one of the best doctors on this nation after all—, but what do you mean by supposed?

—She sent a messenger telling me to reschedule, as she met up with a friend after a long time and wanted to rekindle their friendship —he said, sounding a bit annoyed.

I didn't let the smile fade from my lips even after hearing that. That was most certainly my fault, Doctor, I'm sorry. It wasn't in my best interest to admit it, though.

—I-I see. Then, what are you going to do?

—Well, she has some free time later on the evening, so I have some time to lose. I could have stayed on the palace waiting, but I thought I could waste them here in the market instead. There are a few shops I wanted to visit.

—Oh my, what a coincidence —Sophie chimed in—, we were going to do the same, would you like to accompany us, Doctor?

I threw a glance towards her, never stopping smiling but trying to tell her "what are you doing?" with my glare. Her only response was a smile that said "Is fine, isn't it?" I gave up. It's not like he would agree, I remember having thought, and then biting my tongue for raising that flag.