Chapter 19. Down by the water.

Thanks to that hug, I was able to calm down and think a bit more clearly. It wasn't really that outlandish that this body in which I had reincarnated had dragon ancestry. I could have been reborn as an elf, a dwarf, or even a mythical creature that happens to look like a house cat. Those kinds of stories are quite popular recently too. Still, I think I was more than justified to think I was just a regular and plain homo sapiens. Not only did I looked like one, the author never made mention of this human-like dragon race, every other humanoid race presented in the game was distinct enough. I don't think Violett ever sprouted horns from her forehead either; even during the bad endings she just summoned dragons to destroy the kingdom for her.

—But I still don't get it —I said—, how could I defeat the... intruders? Even if my ancestors were dragons, I don't have any significant amount of mana. Even Violett has more than I do.

—That shouldn't matter. Mana is a gift of the god Enki towards humans, so that they could survive and thrive in this world. —Alyssa bluntly said.

I felt a pain in my chest when she mentioned that name. Enki. That was the person I had just seen in my dream, the one that had brought me to this world. They asked me for a favor, but... I didn't hear it in my dream, and I couldn't remember it either. I didn't had much time to think about it, as Alyssa continued to speak.

—We came from the Abyss, the deep ocean, and we inherited an authority over everything weaker than us. Depending on our bloodline and willpower, we can manipulate the world without having to use mana at all. Some call it "true magic" or even "miracles". Others call it "witchcraft"... or "heresy". In any case, you must have tapped into that power to protect your daughter.

I still couldn't fully believe it, mostly because I couldn't quite remember doing it. Though, I heard once that people sometimes get amnesia during stressful situations.

—Does that mean even someone like me can do magic? —I asked.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested, it would be very helpful to have some way to protect myself and Violett, even if Alyssa was with us from now on. Also, it was magic. How could I not be tempted to learn how to use it.

Alyssa deviously smiled.

—Sure, I can teach you if you want —she said —the first thing you have to do is...

She stopped mid sentence, feeling the glare of the doctor directed at her. This time, she gave up.

—... to get fully recovered, of course. We'll start once you are able to run again. Will that suffice?

—I'll have to check her condition before I can approve, but that should be a good indication of her health —Maxwell begrudgingly said—, for the moment, you should rest. The Queen has left some of her guards around, and Alyssa will be at the next room, so you don't have to worry about anything.

He got up from his chair and pushed Alyssa out of the room, turning off the main light source in my room before leaving. There was still a small glowing crystal set up over my nightstand, but it radiated just a dim and warm light, so I felt asleep shortly after. I was still feeling anxious, but at least with Violett between my arms, and knowing that Alyssa would be close, I thought that I would be safe. Because of that, I was a bit startled when I was suddenly woken up the next morning by a commotion. The events of that night flashed through my mind for a moment, but I came to realize that my baby was still next to me, still sleeping unfazed by the noise. Moreover, I recognized one of the voices speaking.

—Please, you have to let me talk to her! —she said.

—I'm sorry, miss, but we were told to not let anyone inside without the Queen's authorization —a man said, presumably one of the guards that the doctor has speak of.