Chapter 3. Physical and emotional health.

I had gone back to my room as fast as I could, while Carmila had gone to greet the Doctor and subtly delay him just a bit. After all, we didn't have his expressed approval for me to even leave the room yet. He arrived just after I had set myself on the bed as if I had been there all day, and even acted as if Sophie and I were in the middle of a conversation.

—Good afternoon, Doctor —I said with my most polite smile after asking Sophie to leave us alone.

—Madame Dragonroot, let's not waste time with frivolities —he said, placing his bag on the table next to my bed.

As always, this man had terrible bedside manners. Even so, I couldn't complain, he was the best doctor I could afford. He was Maxwell Conrad, someone who could be called a prodigy even when he was only 24 years old. It was no surprise he would end up as the director of the Royal Academy in which Promises of an Enchanted Heart is set, some 15 years from now.

I have been calling him a doctor all this time, and while that was his official title and an accurate description of his job, he was a bit different from the doctors on my past life. For starters, his knowledge on medicine was roughly the same from my world before the industrial revolution. To make it up for this, he was a genius using healing magic.

—Now, show me your arm and hold it in place —he said, and I felt a shiver run through my back.

The unique combination of magic and technology of this world also applied to the instruments and tools everyone used, and that included medical instruments. For Maxwell in particular, the best way to check the condition of his patients was by using his familiar, Sylphie, which happened to be a phyton. I had almost passed out when he checked my vitals the first time, especially because he didn't warn me at all, as for him it was nothing more than a stethoscope. But after several check-ups during my pregnancy, I had become accustomed to the snake. She was, after all, rather small and well mannered. I still had to look away and breathe slowly when it started to wrap herself around my arm.

—Your blood pressure looks fine —he said after what it seemed like an eternity—, your flow of mana is a bit erratic, but it is nothing to be alarmed. It should go to normal once you return to your daily activities.

—Does that mean I can leave the house?

—I don't see why not, just keep using those gloves and facemasks for a month or so if you happen to go to the city, or somewhere with a lot of people.

I looked down, I was still wearing the gloves from earlier, and the facemask was resting on my neck. He didn't seem to suspect or care about why I was wearing them inside of my room, though. I was just happy I now could move as I pleased, and I couldn't wait to rub it in Carmila's face. In a proper and lady-like manner, of course.

—Ah! —I almost yelled, as a thought crossed my mind—, what about Violett? Can I take her along?

The Doctor, who had been writing a report about my state, paused and directed his gaze towards me, as if processing what I had just said. His reaction wasn't entirely unexpected, other noble woman in this world probably left their babies in the complete care of their servants. I knew the woman that had brought me into this world had done just that.

—Let me check how she is doing —he said and walked around the bed towards Violett's crib, with Sylph still hanging from his arm.

I jumped out of bed and grabbed my baby, putting her away from him.

—Madame? Is something wrong? —he said, and something about his tone of voice made me return to my senses. He sounded genuinely concerned.

—N-no, I just... thought it would be easier if I held her this way.