Chapter 18. Animal Instinct.

I had a dream of something that felt as if it had happened a long time ago, in another life so to speak. I had just returned to my department from work, I was taking off my office clothes and getting my computer started, when suddenly I found myself standing in the middle of the ocean, with no land at sight whatsoever. My immediate reaction was, of course, to panic, but I soon came to realize I wasn't sinking into the water. It wasn't frozen or anything, I could still put my hands into it and pick up the liquid, but every step I took felt as if I was standing on firm ground. The sky was dark, but the moon and the stars lit everything around me pretty well. That's why it was especially surprising when someone just appeared right in front of me, as if they had materialized out of thin air.

—Good morning —that person said with a big smile.

They looked pretty human, yet there was something odd about them. Their hair was quite long, almost reaching their ankles, and it had the color and shine of emeralds. Their pupils glimmered as if they were made of gold. Their clothes were what I can only describe as a simplistic robe, but it had some symbols on the shoulder that resembled the letters GBMT, but backwards. I couldn't entirely discern if that person was a man or a woman.

—W-who are you? —I dared to ask— Whe-where am I?

—My name is Enki —they said—, and I have been assigned to protect and nurture this world. I took you from your world and brought you here, so excuse me for that, but I need to ask a favor from you...

Before I could hear or see anything else, I woke up once again, this time in my room as Rosanne. I tried to get up, but my body felt too stiff and heavy. At first, the last thing I could remember was going to my room after Violett's birthday, and what I had seen in my dreams. But as I came to my senses, the memories of what had happened that night came back to me. I saw Iridia taking Violett away from me, I clenched my teeth and tried to force my body to move, as I felt my insides burning.

—I HAVE TO SAVE MY BABY! —I thought, and was the only thing I could think about at that moment.

Suddenly, something hit my forehead, barely a tap, but I felt as if I had hit my shin. My whole body shuddered and I lost any force I had managed to gather.

—Stay still —a familiar voice said in a commanding voice.

As I turned around, I found the doctor sitting at my side, looking as if he hadn't sleep in a couple of days.

—B-but... Vio... —I managed to say.

—She is fine, look at your right.

I did as he said, and found out he wasn't lying. My baby was right there, safe and sound, looking at me from her crib. I tried to get to her, buy my body didn't react. Maxwell got up and walked towards Violett, reaching into her crib and carried her into my bed. She crawled next to me and put her head over my chest. I couldn't be happier and more relieved; I started to feel tears rolling down from my eyes.

The Doctor waited until I had calmed down before helping me get a bit more upright. He also helped me to eat some kind of purée. I couldn't smell or taste what it was, though. Come to think of, even my vision was a bit blurry, I could recognize Violett and the doctor, but everything else looked unfocused. Thankfully, this started to fade after a few minutes.

—Your vitals are... decent —Maxwell said, after checking me with the help of Sylphie—, however, your mana flow is completely messed up right now, even worse than after Violett's birth. It was way worse when I found you, so, let's hope it can return to normal with enough rest. Your body also suffered from... severe stress, so it might be hard for you to move for some time.

—I understand. Thanks for taking care of me.

—Don't even mention it— he said, and looked as if deep in thought for a moment—. How... how are you feeling?