Chapter 13. Just another day.

The heroine of Promises of an Enchanted Heart was a mystery, almost nothing was known about her. Since the player saw the world through their eyes, they would never get to see her face in-game. The closest thing was the cover art of the game, but it only showed her back. I could only be sure she had short blond wavy hair. There were no traces of her birth name either, since the player got to choose it.

—When the Snyder family adopted me, they gave me a new name —she would say in a crucial event that showed her opening to her potential partner.

Finding her before Christopher with only those clues was quite impossible, so I look up for help for a rather unwilling source.

—You want me to look up for blond-haired babies born this year? —Maxwell Conrad said with a very justifiable scowl.

—Well, maybe one year before Violet was born, and one year after, just to be sure.

—May I ask why?

—No.

He glared at me for a few more seconds while I tried to keep up my smile, until he finally gave up and let a sigh escape from his mouth.

—I'll look it up and ask a few colleagues. But you have to know, seeking help for a childbirth is something relatively new. Most people, especially those that are not nobles or merchants just do it by themselves or get help by someone on their families.

—Hmmm, well, I wasn't expecting to find her so easily... —I said, mildly disappointed.

—Muh! —Violett said, and slapped me on the face, managing to distract me.

Seven months have passed since she was born, and she had grown a lot since then. Long were the days were she would struggle to raise her neck or sit without falling. She could now sit on her own, and even crawl, but she tended to stay near me whenever I was standing or walking; only going a bit farther when I was sitting. Playing with her was a bit more fun too; she could grab her toys, shake them, and bite them. She has also started to eat solids, which was the perfect excuse for me to try to get involved in cooking. I have been making purées with the help of Gabby, and I have even been trying to get Violett herself involved, keeping her around and letting them taste them during the cooking. She was also more expressive, though she always seemed to have her eyebrows furrowed. When she smiled, she was the cutest. But most importantly, she has started to speak, or at least make simple sounds to demand I pay attention to her.

The Doctor coughed, as I have started to ignore him completely. At that moment, we were having tea at the greenhouse. Winter was approaching, and it was a bit too windy and chill to stay at the gazebo, and I had been looking for an excuse to use the greenhouse. I was very proud of how much the flowers and plants have grown and bloomed, even some monster plants that I had gotten from Victor without Carmila realizing it. The Rose Nymph was still just a seed in a pot, though.

And of course, making the attendants walk all the way through the backyard from the kitchen to where we were would be a bit too much, so I had preemptively prepared a portable stove, a kettle, and a few cups I had ordered to be custom made. I had ask them to be painted with the words "mother", "daughter" and "guest" from my original world, though I stylized them enough for them to look more like scribbles. Ah... the daughter cup wouldn't be filled in several years, but the wait would be worthy. Hmmm? Since when do I get along with the Doctor to invite him to have some tea? Well... I guess I have learned to overlook his lack of manners and abrasiveness, and he has proven he was quite capable. I started to feel bad for sending him off immediately after our regular checkups.

—Would you mind staying a bit and have some tea with me? —I politely asked the first time.

He looked at me for a moment as if I had grown a second head, but ended up agreeing. Once we had everything set up, though, the ambient became a bit awkward. I just didn't know what to say and he didn't seem interested in starting the conversation. That's it, until something crossed my mind.