Chapter 30. Starlight.

(From Carmila)

Despite my feelings, I couldn't get rid of the woman that was carrying the legacy of the Cygnus' family. Not yet at least. I tried to keep acting as professional as I had, but in retrospect, I might have been a bit too strict. The attitude of the Madame started to change as her pregnancy progressed too. Instead of ignoring whatever I said, she would obey me without any question. The aura that made me shiver whenever I got close to her also weakened, but her expression remained as inscrutable and unreadable as before, at least at the start. One afternoon, she called for me.

—Carmila —she said, looking me straight in the eyes—, there is a man called Maxwell Conrad, a doctor at the capital. I'll be in need of his services, get him to come, no matter how much money he asks for.

—Maxwell Conrad? —I asked. The name sounded vaguely familiar, but I was sure there were other doctors with more reputation and experience—, may I ask why him specifically?

—I will be in need of his services, that's all you need to know —she said, in a calm yet strong voice.

It was the first time she had been so commanding in such a long time, it was so vexing I couldn't find the words to refute her.

—I... I understand. Will that be all?

—Yes... No, wait —she said, and I saw her expression change; she looked conflicted, confused, and even a bit scared —I have a bad feeling... It is still too early, but we might need some nurses to come to support the doctor during the delivery. Maybe even a priest.

—O-of course, Madame —I said with a slight bow, and got out of the room.

I was really confused by her sudden change of attitude, more than before. My confusion did nothing but grow as she shifted between her stoic and cold personality, over to her more mellow and timid one more and more often, without any warning. I did contact Dr. Conrad and got him to visit us. He and the Madame clashed from their very first meeting, but she insisted on having him treat her, and the doctor never even attempted to quit.

I did hear her singing to her yet to be born baby once or twice, when she thought nobody was listening. When the day of the delivery finally arrived, it was as the Madame had suspected; it went bad very quickly. Yet, thanks to the precautions we have taken, and the tenacity of the doctor, both her and the baby were alive and healthy at the end of it. Our young lady Violett was such a precious baby.

From that point, the Madame seemed to have fully embraced her more "nice and humble" personality, but she became more decisive, especially in matters respecting the young lady. I had planned on discretely bringing the task of raising Violett to ourselves, the attendants. This was not uncommon among noble families, and that would help us later when we were to get rid of the Madame. But she insisted quite emphatically on never leaving the baby alone. At first I suspected she had seen through my plans and wanted to secure her place in the household, but the more I saw her, the more I was convinced Rosanne just loved her daughter. I... decided to put my plans on hold for the moment, and just observe her.

She got the idea of fixing the greenhouse, and I of course tried to stop it. That place was special for the previous madame, and... it was special to me as well. It had fallen into disrepair even before Lady Igraine passed away, she was too weak to continue taking care of the plants. Sir Uther had plenty of them moved into her room, so she could be surrounded by what she loved in her last moments. He tried to continue taking care of them after she passed away, but his health didn't allow him to do it properly. My mother also tried to help, but taking care of Sir Uther and Arthur was more than enough to handle. By the time I went back, it was beyond repair.

—I think we should get rid of the greenhouse —I said to Arthur, years before he even meet the Madame.

—Again with that?— he replied, it wasn't the first time I had mentioned it— I would imagine you would be more sentimental about it.