Chapter 31. Getting closer.

(From Carmila)

We were introduced to Alyssa Greenhood a few days after Rosanne had woken up. She has been in the mansion for some time, but this was the first time we actually got to interact with her in any manner. Until recently, our movements had been restrained due to the investigation.

Our eyes crossed for an instant, and she drew a smirk on her face. I felt a chill on my back, something that reminded me of the time when I met Rosanne for the first time. This time it hadn't been quite as strong though.

Maxwell told us she was going to work as Rosanne's bodyguard, and that she would keep her and the young lady completely safe from that moment. This announcement was shocking. I hadn't been informed of any new hiring, but I could ignore that for the moment. What I couldn't ignore was that we had just been betrayed by someone who had infiltrated our family for more than two years, lying to us each and every day.

—Can we really trust her? —I bluntly asked.

I wasn't suspicious of Maxwell, he had shown to be quite reliable and dependable. Rosanne might not be with us anymore if it hadn't been for his medical expertise. But I still needed to hear his reasoning.

—I can guarantee that she will keep them safe, and that she won't betray us. If she wanted to kidnap or hurt them, she could do it right now and we could do nothing to stop her.

—What? How can that be?

—Because I'm a dragon —the woman said with a grin—, a fire-breathing dragon disguised as one of you. I could level a town and destroy an army with ease.

—A dragon? —I said, not really understanding what she meant.

Of course I have heard the legends, there were even people who said Rosanne's ancestors were dragons. And there were even tales about a dragon appearing out of nowhere in a battlefield a decade or so ago. But that's what they were, tales and legends, right?

—She is a dragon, I can confirm that. And... —the doctor paused, and looked back at Rosanne, who gave him a slight nod— and so is Rosanne.

—What?! —I said in shock, alongside Nora and Gabby.

—I think it is only fair that you know about it —Rosanne spoke, her voice even more quiet than usual—, I was only told this recently, by Alyssa, and I still can't really believe it. But...

She winced, and took her hand to her forehead. The doctor moved to help her, but she stopped him.

—I-I'm fine, I just got a little headache —She put her hand over the head of her daughter, who was sleeping at her side—. I don't remember much of what happened that night, but apparently it was me who stopped... the kidnappers. Alyssa thinks I somehow woke my ancestral powers in a moment of desperation.

That was rather difficult to accept. But there was no one else, aside from Violett herself, who could have confronted them. The barrier's record didn't show anyone entering the property, and the investigation didn't find evidence of anyone else.

—Once I recover, Alyssa is going to try to teach me how to use these powers, but I don't have a lot of confidence in myself. In any case, I'm going to trust her to keep us safe —Rosanne paused for a moment—. I... don't know exactly what "being a dragon" entails. I imagine them as terrible monsters that cause devastation and bring misfortune, incarnation of natural disasters.

—You are not that far off —Alyssa said with a smirk.

—So... if any of you want to resign, I will understand it.

Nora shook her head.

—The madame is the madame, this doesn't change a thing.

—Y-yeah! It is not like you are going to start hoarding gold and treasures, right? —Gabby added.