Chapter 43. Blood on the radio.

(From Ingrid)

It was quite a bizarre scene, suddenly the terrain in front of me, as well as both the doctor and Lucius, started rising. It took me a moment to comprehend that it was I who was falling. I could probably survive the fall, but I wasn't so sure about surviving the temperature of the water. Fragments of my life flashed before my eyes. I shut my eyes tightly, and entrusted my soul to Lord Enki, hoping for a miracle to save me.

But nothing happened, I didn't feel the boiling water in my skin, nor the divine magic of the Lord of the heavens. Instead, when I opened my eyes slowly, I saw myself cradled in a nest of red threads. I looked up and saw Rosanne, with her arm extender towards me, and her hand as if pulling me towards her. I saw in her face she was doing an intense effort to bring me towards safety.

As soon as I thought I could reach the cliff, I didn't think twice and jumped towards it. I heard the threads snapping right after I jumped. Rosanne caught me with her arms, and helped me get away from the ravine. But even once I was safe, she didn't let go of me. She was hugging me, with a surprising amount of strength.

—T-thank goodness —I heard her murmur, and I could hear her sniffing.

—I... thanks, I mean, thank you for saving me —I said once she had calmed down a bit and let go of me.

I was still shocked that she seemed more affected than I was, when it had been my life which was at risk. She rubbed the tears off her eyes and smiled.

—All that matters is that you are fine.

We told the guys at the other side that I was fine, they had seen me being pulled up, but still had been worried I had gotten wounded by the fall. We discussed how to proceed now that the path has been cut.

—We'll continue towards the tower and turn off the signal—Lucius said—, meanwhile, could you go back to the town and get something to help us cross back?

We agreed, and Rosanne once again used her threads to give them the key to the tower, using one to emulate a slingshot between her fingers, and another to hold the key in case she missed.

—Umm, you might want this —Rosanne said, handing me her mask.

It was only then that I realized mine had gone missing, most likely it had fallen to the river.

—Keep it, keeping your horns hidden is more important.

—Are you sure?

—Yeah. It is not like we HAVE to use them always. They are meant to represent that the whole church is a unity, but considering our current situation, I don't think it matters.

—I see...

We went through the forest with a hurried step. Just as Lucius had predicted earlier, the storm seemed to be returning. We needed to quickly find something to help them cross back, and do that same trip two more times, before the worst of the storm fell onto us. They should be able to stay safe inside of the building, but we didn't know the exact conditions in which the tower was, nor did we know how long the storm would last.

But when we arrived at the temple, there was another type of storm already brewing there. There were more people there than when we left, several girls with their guardians, but they were mostly sitting out of it. The confrontation was between a man who I had never seen, and a woman who was carrying "Lillie". Quejada was trying to control the discussion. Santicus was closer to the door, looking worried and anxious.

—What is going on? —Rosanne asked.

—Oh, my ladies. I met that man when I was looking for the girls you asked for —he said—, he told me he was also looking for his daughter, so we joined forces. But once we arrived here, he claimed that the baker's child was his kid.