Chapter 37. El Santo Grial.

(From Maxwell)

There have been several moments since I met Rosanne when I have questioned her sanity. She often talks to herself or talks about things that make absolutely no sense when she thinks nobody is listening. Then she apparently started to pretend to be able to tell the future... with unnerving accuracy. Her brain just doesn't work in the same way as everyone else I have met, but I have become accustomed to that. However, those words made me think she had genuinely lost her mind.

—I am going to look for the saintess —she told me when I asked her in private to repeat what she had told me.

—Do you even have any idea of what you are saying? The northern territories are extremely dangerous; the environment is harsh even to those who live there, and there are a lot of bandits and raiders! We are not even sure that the saintess is in that place, for all we know she is in one of the towns near the other towers, and we will find her pretty soon —I said, and took a moment to clear my head—. You are right, we need to cover all of our bases. But there is no need for you to risk your life, I will go to the capital and form another group to —

—We don't have time! —Rosanne yelled, and it almost felt like the entire mansion shook—. The lives of Erzi, Augustus, Gaius, Carmila, and everyone else are at risk! I... I can see them drowning in a sea of darkness when I try to sleep. I can't ignore those nightmares anymore, I have to do something about it.

If I have heard anyone else say that, I would think they were just rambling incoherencies. But I knew Rosanne far too well, there was always a reason behind her words, no matter how absurd they sounded. Still, no matter the reason, going with her plan was madness. If I had pushed a little bit more, confronted her with the reality of the situation, she might have come to accept a compromise that didn't involve risking her life. But at that moment, looking her straight into her eyes, I didn't dare to do it.

—... Fine, just let me get some preparations done, we'll depart as soon as I finish.

—W-wait, are you coming with me?

—Of course I am going. Do you know how much you are going to risk your physical and spiritual health by doing this trip? And that's not even considering we still don't know what's causing THAT! —I said, pointing to her horns— There is no way I am letting you go alone.

—B-but what about the hospital? They need you there.

—Everyone is already familiarized with the treatment. In fact, some of the old geezers are better at it than I am. They will get mad at me, specially Carmila, but if we do find the saintess, they won't go farther than lynching me.

It took her a moment, but when Rosanne processed what I had said, she let out a laugh against her will. She tried to cover her mouth, but it was pretty obvious she was still giggling. Seeing her smile got some weight out of my shoulders.

—Idiot, this is not time to be joking —she said, punching me in the arm. That hurt a bit more than expected, but I didn't say anything.

—You are right, we need to start working. I'll send a letter to the capital and to the hospital to inform them of the situation, perhaps ask for reinforcements that would meet us there. Then we have to figure out how to get there. If we take a carriage, it might take us two weeks just to get to the frontier...

—Perhaps I could help with that —a voice spoke, coming from outside of the house.

At that point, we were on the second floor of the mansion, so I was justifiable confused, but Rosanne seemed to know what was going on. She hurried to the window and opened it, peaking to the outside without a hint of caution.