Chapter 40. La danza del fuego.

(From Rosanne)

—The young maiden here is not wrong —Quejada said—, this used to be a temple dedicated to Tiamat, the Ruler of the oceans and rivers, and the mother of all beasts. I would like to say that is only ancient history, and that this building has been nothing more than a tourist attraction since then, but that's not the case. This building was continuously taken over by the members of a cult that idolizes Tiamat's first daughter, Lilith. No matter how many times we chased them away, they always ended up returning somehow.

The mayor went through the doors of that pyramid, and signaled us to follow him. From the outside, I could see an ample room, with several pillars holding the weight of its stepped roof. I saw what at first seemed like tables covering almost all the space available, each one with something covered by a piece of cloth. Ingrid refused to step inside at first, but once she realized what was really over those tables, she started to change her mind.

—Those people?!

—Yes, they are the ones who have fallen ill, either from this town or the neighboring ones.

I had taken my mask away, not caring to hide my horns, as I stepped into the building. I couldn't believe it. This area was way less populated than the capital itself, and yet, there were almost as many people affected by the curse in that room than those in the Academy. What I had thought were tables were actually improvised beds, where the inflicted laid, writhing in pain. Those that were in the worst state were restrained, twisting and squirming. Their skin not only had mostly turned into something resembling obsidian, their bodies themselves were starting to be reshaped into something that didn't look human. This was what I feared to encounter when I visited the Academy, but this time it was not just my wild imagination. It was real,

—The members of the cult were the first to be affected by it —Quijada continued—, so we used this building at first because they were already here, and it also helped to isolate them from the rest of the population, but new cases keep appearing, even in the most remote villages.

My chest felt cold. I was clenching my fist. All this time, these people had been suffering, and I wasn't even aware of it. Or where my nightmares their voices desperately calling for me? I was trying to remain calm, taking deep breaths. I could see that the doctor was already helping them, and even Ingrid had thrown away her aversion to the building to give him a hand. I should control myself and also help as much as I could. But I was being filled by emotions that I couldn't ignore, frustration, anger, and pure wrath.

—WHO? WHO DARED TO HURT THEM? —was everything I could think of.

But at that very moment in which I could only see red, I heard a familiar voice. It sounded so familiar, I thought it was the doctor calling for me at first, but he was pretty busy and far from me at the moment. I looked around, trying to remember whose voice I had heard.

—Ro...ssane? —that person spoke again, and I finally recognized who it was.

—Christopher?!! —I yelled, and ran to his side.

He was among the infected, half of his face had become jet black, but he was among those who were in better condition.

—Christopher, what are you doing here? What happened to you? —I said, kneeling at his side and holding his hand. I felt tears coming from my eyes.

—I... —he tried to speak, but it was pretty obvious it was very hard for him to do it.

—He is the friend in common I mentioned earlier. He and his workers came to check something in the radio tower, but they all got sick in a matter of days. We got to talk before his condition worsened, and he told me about you. He knew that you would come.