Chapter 28. Heart of glass.

We went back to the waiting room to further discuss the details of our plans. We were offered tea or coffee by our guide, though frankly, I was starting to wish for a more substantial meal. Now that the interview with Iridia was a thing of the past, my body had started to relax, and it noticed I only had a light breakfast in the morning, several hours ago.

—I will accompany you to retrieve the Seed of the Ygdrassil, and we'll keep it secure at the palace's vault until the saintess is found —the King said—, any objection?

—We don't know if there are members of the cult of Lilith within the palace's staff. I would feel more safe if some precautions are taken to diminish this risk —Maxwell replied.

—Of course, I personally will check the background of everyone involved, and we'll set up security protocols to prevent anyone who might slip under the cracks. What about you, Lady Dragonroot?

—I have no objection, the seed will surely be more safe there than in my greenhouse —I replied—. Ah! But I can give you the documents of a security barrier upgrade I have been working on. It is still a work in progress, but I'm sure the royal court's magician might see something that could help keep it even more secure.

—That... will be appreciated. Now, that only leaves us with finding the saintess. Is there any hint of her location?

I tried to keep my poker face and smiled gently.

—There might be something, but I can't see it clearly yet.

The hint was Christopher, of course. He was the one that had found and adopted her in the game, so he was our best bet in finding where she was. But that was something I wanted to deal with personally, I didn't want to involve him and his family into this mess. Once I get the information, I will surely share it with the King.

—Your majesty, the resources of the church are at your disposal. Our manpower and our installations are for the benefit of the people —the girl who had been guiding us said, bowing towards him.

That took me by surprise, I had forgotten she was even there, but I somehow managed to avoid jumping from the shock. The King stood in silence for an instant.

—Yes, we'll be needing the help of the church for this. Please inform your superiors that we'll be in contact. But remember, anything that you or your colleagues have heard about is top secret. Speaking openly about it will be considered betrayal to the royal family and to the nation.

—You don't have to worry, your Majesty —she said, bowing again.

We left the Black Tower shortly after that, going through the same passageways we had used before and I still felt the glare of every member of the church that we passed. I could only breath properly once we got out of the building.

—Huh, the rain finally stopped —Maxwell said.

The sky was still mostly covered in clouds, and I could still feel the humidity on the breeze, but he was right, the rain had stopped. I took a moment to appreciate the view of the ocean. I always have had a bit of thalassophobia, even in my previous life, but at that moment the water seemed calm and peaceful. I noticed a strange sight, near the White Tower, there was what seemed to be a giant turtle, with a fancy tent built over its shell. A woman was extending her arms outside of it, roughly looking at our direction. I couldn't distinguish her features, but she looked pretty tall. After a moment, a black raven and a white dove flew to her arms, and she went back inside of her tent.

—Rosanne, are you alright? —the doctor said, already going down the long staircase.

—Ah, yeah, sorry! —I said while hurrying to where he was.