Chapter 26. Birdhouse in your soul.

I would like to say that after having been told such of an unexpected notice, I was able to maintain a calm demeanor, but I don't like to lie so shamelessly.

—Carmilla, please prepare some water resistant clothes. Sophie, can you call Adrian to come over here? Take a raincoat or an umbrella, and be careful to not slip! —I said, almost hyperventilating, but somehow managing to give the proper instructions.

The doctor had to force me to sit down and breathe deep to avoid fainting, while Eve brought me a cup of tea.

—Mother? —my baby called—, are we going out somewhere?

Her words pierced my chest like a cold blade. I didn't want Violett to visit a prison at such a young age, but I didn't want to leave her either. We have been separated before, but not for more than a few hours, and never for such distances. And I knew she would be perfectly safe with Alyssa, but... I still didn't want to. What I feared most of all, was how she would react to me telling her about that. I had done my best to temper her villainess nature, but the results of my efforts were yet to be seen.

—Violett, listen —I said, taking a moment to clear my throat—, Mommy has to go with Maxwell to a very boring place, and with the climate as it is, it is going to be a really annoying trip. Will you stay here with Alyssa until I return?

She took a long look at me with her inquisitive eyes, and inclined her head a bit to the left as if pondering what to say. I braced for impact.

—Sure.

—Eh? —I spouted after a few seconds, dumbfounded.

—Well, if it is going to be so tedious, I would rather stay here.

—B-but...

—Why does it seem like the one about to throw a tantrum is the adult? —Alyssa suddenly said—, just go and finish your business quickly so you can come back home soon.

—Exactly —Violett added, before turning towards the doctor—, and you'll be taking care of mother, right?

—As I have until now.

—Then it should be fine. Go already —my baby said, swinging her hand in a dismissive manner.

I threw a glare at Alyssa, whom I suspected had taught her such expressions, I have seen them reading those cheesy romance novels together, but I never thought too much about it before. I would have to have a very stern conversation with her once I returned, probably ban her from reading them for a month or so.

—Madame —Sophie said, she was wearing a raincoat, but it was completely dry—, Mr. Adrian was already waiting for you at the door.

I was a bit puzzled, so I went to meet him. He was, in effect, standing in our backyard, in the middle of the storm. I wanted to let him come inside, but he could barely fit through the door, and would have to be crouched all the time.

—Good Morning, Lady Rosanne —he said with a smile—, are you going to head out?

—Eh, y-yes, but how did you know?

—I saw Lord Maxwell come very early in the middle of this storm. That would usually mean there was an emergency, but you seem healthy and relatively calm.

—Relatively calm? —I murmured, glaring at him. He smiled.

—In any case, I wouldn't imagine that our dear doctor would be so desperate for a personal visit, so I assume it was an official matter.

—Mmmm, that still doesn't necessarily point to us having to leave the house.

—You got me there —Adrian said, giggling—, I just had a hunch, I suppose.