Chapter 24. Seven Days in Sunny June.

I was still feeling a bit out of myself, and the accusatory glare of the doctor didn't help. But at least I was once again able to breathe properly and my heart had stopped beating at twice its regular speed. Still, I didn't know what the king and his two seers were talking about. I was sure I hadn't said anything about the "Calliope's curse", nor did I have any idea what it meant.

—That's because it is not a curse, not a human-made one at least —Maxwell said—, it is from a legend, a curse-like plague that turns people into monsters. It is also known as... Lilith's wrath.

—Lilith's wrath? —the king said, turning towards me.

I froze. Lilith, the mother of all dragons, was my direct ancestor, at least according to the legends. It wasn't a secret that the king disliked and suspected me already, so it wasn't hard to imagine he could decide to blame me for what would happen in the future due to that connection. And if he did, his only choice would be to "get rid" of me before Erzebeth could do anything to stop him. I needed to choose my words very carefully to avoid this death flag, but even after several moments, nothing was coming to me.

—I'm afraid I can't give a full description of the plague —the doctor suddenly spoke—, I only know the name of it and a general account of it because I have been investigating the group that tried to kidnap Rosanne's daughter, and I happen to come across it.

His words seemed to pique the interest of the king. I mentally thanked Maxwell for that distraction.

—I would need to re-do my research to be able to find the text where I found it. At that moment I thought both topics were unrelated, but I suspect the "church of Lilith" will try to use the "wrath of Lilith" for some reason.

—Mmmm, that is a possibility —the king said—, but that group's activities have been under constant surveillance. If they were planning something as big as this, we would have noticed.

—Unless the perpetrators aren't part of their main group itself. The kidnappers were supposedly from an extremist faction within them, and I doubt even our majesty has the resources to watch over every member of that group. Some might be acting without the support of the leader, so they will go unnoticed by the surveillance.

—That's... not impossible. I'll talk with her Majesty to dedicate more resources to investigate them. But if they managed to conceal themselves this much, I'm not sure that will do much.

—What about the ones that were caught? Didn't you get any information from them?

—Nothing important, or at least that's what Erzebeth told me —the King replied—, but she mentioned something curious about the female prisoner.

—Iridia... —I muttered.

—Yes. She apparently has been asking continuously to be able to send you letters, but Erzebeth strictly prohibited it.

—Maybe if she were to be allowed, we would get some information in return —Tiberius chimed in, after listening to the conversation from the sidelines in silence.

—It would take too much time, and again, Erzebeth prohibited it. Her authority is above mine, and I frankly don't wish to go against her. Still, I'll speak to her about it once she returns and see what we can do.

—I'll go —I found myself saying.

—What? —the doctor said, dumbfounded.

—I'll go and talk with her —I said. The idea made my stomach ache, but —, if it is out of my own volition, she won't have any objection. I don't want to do it... but if we can get any lead that might allow us to prevent those deaths, I'll take the chance.