24 || coping mechanism

alexa, play slow down by chase atlantic

18+ warning - heavy smut

DAY 24

"Amelia."

Amelia felt herself burrow her brows in confusion in the stupor of her dreams at the sound of James' voice calling out for her. All she could see was pitch-black darkness, the echos of her name bouncing around the shadowy space.

"Amelia."

Her tired eyes flickered open, ripping her away from her dream world, as she blinked a few times trying to readjust her vision. After a few moments of her squinting in perplexity, James' face finally came into view, illuminated by the moonlight shining through her bedroom window. His dark hair seemed to be damp, clinging to his skin, as he hovered over her.

"James?" Amelia questioned oddly, her fingers reaching up to rub her weary eyes. "What is it? What's wrong?"

She examined his dejected features - the way his blue eyes fell somberly, the way his lips were formed into a thin, worried line, and the way his shoulders hunched over in defeat. There was no doubt in her mind that something was definitely wrong.

The nightmare that had woken James up this time was just as bad as all of the others, unsurprisingly to him. The flashes of another victim's face flooded through his mind. He couldn't get the blood-stained woman with terrified eyes to go away - just another person added to the list of people that The Winter Soldier had assassinated.

"I had another one."

"A nightmare?" she asked softly.

James nodded quietly. "You ... you told me to find my most peaceful place."

"Yes," Amelia agreed eagerly, pleased that he was listening to her advice, as she pushed herself up slightly with the palms of her hands.

"It's with you."

Her moist lips parted in bewilderment at his words as she gazed up at his melancholy eyes. The way her heart lurched at his confession made her stomach follow shortly after with an uproar of flutters.

"You are my coping mechanism," he continued, the rawness of his emotions plastered all over his features. "I feel calm whenever we're together."

Amelia was ultimately rendered speechless as she sat there, her heart soaring into orbit somewhere in outer space, as she struggled to register what he had said. James was being shockingly honest with her, exposing himself in ways she never thought he would allow himself to do. Could she possibly still be dreaming?