Stupid Mistake

"Erik? Hello? Friend?" Charles asked as rolled his wheelchair closer to Erik, who was sitting on a chair in Charle's office looking outside, and snapped in front of his face. 

Erik quickly snapped out of his trance and said, "Oh, hey."

"'hey'? Erik, I've been talking to you about my class for an hour, what do you mean 'Oh hey'?" replied Charles.

"Sorry, sorry. I love seeing you geek about your classes, but something has been on my mind." Erik answered. 

"Peter?" questioned Charles, with a smile. 

"Yes." Erik said. 

Charles said, "He is an interesting boy." 

"I have pondered on the thought of Peter being my son." Erik said.

"But he's not your son." Charles said, looking confused.

"Yet I see him as such" added Erik as he furrowed his eyebrows. He rubbed his eyes and sighed.

"Why is that such an issue?" asked Charles.

"Have you seen how my other families have turned out, Charles? Have you?" Erik said, his voice was now shaky.

"Erik, that won't happen again." responded Charles, "Let yourself be happy, please."

Erik lifted his head and said, "If I let myself be happy, god would know I don't deserve it and then ruin my happiness once more, and Peter would be the one to get hurt. He doesn't deserve that." Charles looked at the ground.

"I know god is not evil enough to do that to you again, Erik." Charles insisted.

"Charles, you're doing that thing where you're begging and arguing with me about my beliefs," replied Erik, "you know I'm stubborn with my beliefs."

"You're always stubborn, Erik. For once, listen to me." Charles said.

Erik shook his head and replied, "I'm sorry, Charles. I need to distance myself from Peter."

"You're a foolish bastard." Charles said with a scoff. 

"You can call me names, but that won't change my decision." said Erik.

"Peter will be sad and confused." Charles said.

"I'm not a child, Charles." replied Erik, "I don't care."

"It doesn't make you a child to care" responded Charles.

"I'm going back to my office," Erik said, "good talk."

"You're making a stupid mistak-" Charles said before Erik was out and slammed the door shut. Charles let out a disappointed sigh.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Peter rushed around the corner to see his friends in their usual place on the big couch in the school. 

"Peter, what's up?" asked Scott.

"Yeah, you seem like  you are in a rush, no pun intended." Jean added with a giggle.

"Heh, about that," Peter answered quietly, "I was trying to find my dad, but he probably went to his room."

"That's weird, he usually isn't in his room a lot. I'm used to him lecturing us about how loud we are." Ororo said.

"That's what I thought too!" Peter said, "He is probably just tired though."

"Yeah..." Ororo replied.

"Um, may- maybe he is on a vacation now and forgot to tell you." Kurt said.

"Oh that would also make sense!" Jubilee responded.

"Maybe, but that's unlikely. Peter's probably right, Erik's tired." Scott said.

"Ooo, we can do an investigation." said Jubilee, who was now giddy.

"I'm up for that, but we should only do it if Peter's up for it." answered Jean.

"I'm up for it," replied Peter, "an adventure slash investigation annnd it has to do with my dad? I like it."

Scott clapped his hands and said, "Cool, then it's settled we have an investigation case on our hands." 

"I, I've always wanted to be a private investigator." Kurt said, lightly smiling.

"Me too!" Jubilee added.

"Okay, so, you guys stay here, don't move. I'm gonna search the school and around it again, it'll take a second." Peter said. And before anyone could agree or nod Peter sped around the school. Peter searched and searched, but there was no sign of Erik. He ran back to his friends.

"Nothing?" asked Jean.

"Nothing." Peter answered.

"Our main suspicion was that Erik was in his room anyways, so let's just knock, it's that easy." added Scott.

"Yah, okay, easy." Peter responded as he walked to Erik's room.

"I forgot that Erik's room was that close to us." Jubilee said. 

"Yeah, it's-" Scott was about to say, but Peter interrupted him with a shush. Peter lifted his fist and knocked on Erik's door.

"Who is it?" Erik said from behind the door, with a low monotoned voice. 

"It's Peter!" answered Peter, loud enough for Erik to hear.

"Damnit" Erik whispered to himself.

"Hello?" Peter said.

"Peter, I'm busy and tired, I can't deal with you right now." Erik said. Erik was only half lying, he was tired and busy, but he wished he would talk to Peter and see Peter smile like his kid. He knew if he saw Peter he wouldn't be able to avoid him, so he had to lie.

Peter bit his cheek and said, "Oh. Okay... I'm sorry, I shouldn't have bothered you." Peter held back tears and sniffled as he slowly walked away from the door. His friends looked at depressed Peter walking back to where they started. Everyone but Scott walked back with Peter.

Scott leaned to the door and said to Erik, "Hey, old man, I don't know what you're doing or planning, but you're really making my friend's life miserable, so whenever you stop being a dumbass and get out of your room, just talk to Peter. You're really important to him." Erik didn't respond, but he definitely heard him. Scott walked back to Peter and patted his back.

"Sorry, the investigation was not that fun." Peter said, looking at the ground.

"I had enough fun being with my friends, don't apologize." Jubilee said, trying to comfort Peter. Kurt nodded.

"Man, Erik is so lucky to have you as his son." Scott said, more quietly. 

"He doesn't want me as his son, it's obvious." Peter replied.

"Then he's an idiot." Scott said. Peter chuckled at that.

"Yeah, if he doesn't like you, he is totally stupid." Jean added.

"Yup! I don't know a single person with common sense who doesn't like you, Peter" said Jubilee. Everyone was joking and Peter was now just laughing with his friends while Erik was laying in his room listening to a walkman he bought after Peter shown him his. 

"Sweet dreams are made of this..."