32 || the beginning

1 year ago

Paris

Back in Paris, a year later with the girls who had started this journey with me - talking and giggling over wine and pizza like we had years ago and yet it felt like yesterday to all of us. 

Viv, Lou and Adele had just met Harry for the first time, officially - as my boyfriend. 

It was insane, here I was finally succeeding, my second poetry book with the same name as the song that Harry and I wrote as the title: Ever Since New York had just been declared a New York Times Bestseller and tonight we were celebrating.

"He is so sweet Cara, I'm so happy for you." Viv smiled from across the table. Lou held my hand and my girls proposed a toast for me. 

"To Cara, for trusting love, for trusting us and for trusting herself - to know that she can overcome all!" Lou called out, we all cheersed. I turned to see her and Adele share a kiss, my heart felt a sting of pain with the way they looked at each other still.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy with Harry. We had made things official - ever since New York, and things were going well and becoming quiet serious between us but we'd both been so busy recently that we had decided to take some time off and spend some quality time together in New York, or so I thought. He was still touring with his new album and tonight he was at a show.

I was so proud of him, I will always be so grateful to Harry. He taught me a different kind of love, but - I won't get into what I know now.

"So, girls, we know this might be awkward to ask and all but Timmy's new movie is coming out tomorrow night and we've all been invited to the premiere of Little Women." Adele smiled and spoke cautiously. 

I smiled back at her and gave her a nod of approval. "Please, please, please can we go?" Viv joined in. "There's a jet taking us tomorrow morning and we get to spend a whole weekend together, plus we need a girls trip. Cara?" They turned to me.

"Well, I was supposed to be spending this time with Harry but uh, he's got shows this weekend as well, so I'm sure he won't mind." 

I took a sip of my drink and thought about the last time we were sat around this very time talking about T.

How I decided then and there to try and put my heart on my sleeve. I smiled to myself. 

"You know what, why not? Let's fucking go to New York." I declared raising my glass again.

They all beamed at me.

Just then I started getting a call from Harry. I excused myself to the kitchen, like I had with T to get a glass of water when he had surprised me after the first time we met.

"Hey, are you okay? What's up?" I asked, confused as to how he could be calling me halfway through a gig.

"Yeah, I'm fine hun - don't worry. I miss you. I just got told that the tour has been extended again. I'm just doing a quick costume change so I really gotta go, but I love you okay. Have fun with the girls." He rushed before the phone cut off. 

His words left me crushed, I sank to the wall and sighed. Another extension? How much longer did I have to be put at the back of his mind. I felt so conflicted, I never wanted to hold him back - but I'd already made so many compromises for him. 

No, this weekend, I'm going to have fun and spend time with my girls.

We all slept over at Adele's and in the morning the girls packed their bags whilst I just went to the hotel to grab my pre-packed one. It seemed like these days all I did was live out of a suitcase.