Chapter 24: Return

-Wednesday-

It has been about a month and a half since I last saw James and Gavin. I decided to give them as much time as they needed to process what they found out. The first month I had the girls see a therapist to at least relieve the traumatic experience. 

Thankfully after 3 weeks they no longer needed to continue their visits since they didn't get night terrors. They were much happier to have someone that they could talk about how they really felt not wanting to feel like a burden.

This week the girls informed me that in two weeks the school will be having their prom but the only issue is that they can't find a venue. They asked if they could use the ballroom as they don't want to be stressed worrying if they don't find another venue available in time.

Feeling like they deserve it I let them know that I'll be heading to the school to inform them that I'll be hosting their prom. As I have told them I am already heading over to the school while they're still in their classes.

Star's outfit (below)

Exiting the car as I arrived I lock it placing my keys in my pocket along with my phone

Exiting the car as I arrived I lock it placing my keys in my pocket along with my phone. Quickly tying up my hair in a ponytail I enter the building with my usual confidence. As I walk a couple of students that are switching classes wave once they recognize me.

Waving back at them I send smiles as I continue my path to the main office. Opening the door as I arrived I greet the 3 secretaries. As they greet me back I ask them if Principal James is in his office. Nodding they allow me to head in, I knock on his office door waiting for an answer.

A 'come in' is heard on the other side of the door, walking in I wasn't prepared to see what I saw. Removing any emotion on my face I ignore the fact that a beautiful woman had her hands on James' shoulders almost intimately. Noticing that it was me whom walked in James jumps out of his seat as if he was on fire.

"I-" With a very worried look he tries to speak. Interrupting his word I plaster a smile on my face and speak, "Oh sorry to interrupt you guys I just needed to speak to Principal James about an important matter that a couple students brought to my attention."

Trying to dismiss the woman he says, "Sharon would you please give us a moment alone." Not wanting to stay in the room with him alone I say, "Oh its fine she can stay I'll be here only for a few minutes no need to leave."

As the woman sits on the couch on the side both James and I take a seat across each other separated by his desk. Wanting to leave as soon as possible I begin, "The girls informed me the school doesn't have a venue for the prom taking place in 2 weeks I believe."

Clearing his throat he speaks, "They are right, if we don't find a place to host it in the next week the prom may not take place this year. Why do you ask?" Answering him I offer, "I have a location that I can host it for the school. All I need is your approval and the prom will continue as planned."

"Where would this location be I can't have them traveling such a long distance away from their homes may I ask?" At his last question I answer calmly, "The last place we met. Trust me the location is perfect."

Knowing he can't refuse he approves, "Okay. Then I guess prom will go on. Thank you for hosting it means a lot to the students." Once that was handled I rose from my seat, rising with me he offers his hand to shake sealing the deal.

Grabbing his hand lightly I shake it and trying to let go a moment later but he is trying to hold on to me longer. As my face breaks from the smile I return to a stoic gaze, looking at him I feel my eyes slowly showing and flickering a light red and purple color. 

Stopping them from continuing to show I release my hand from his grip turning away. As I begin to leave I say, "It was nice meeting you Sharon." With a roll of her eyes she begins to walk back behind James. Not wanting to see anything I leave closing the door right after me.

Leaving the main office I go to find Gavin wanting to vent my anger. Not finding him in any of the gyms I go to the last place I know I can find him.

Walking on the field I find Gavin laying on the grass looking up at the sky. "I really need you right now Gav." Startling him I notice him flinch slightly in surprise at the sound of a voice. Holding his heart he says, "At this rate I'll be dead before I hit 30." 

Feeling bad I apologize, forgiving me he tells me he's processed everything and says, "You're stronger than I thought Stargirl. You shine bright despite everything you went through." Hearing his words caused me to tackle him in a hug in which he returned.

Reminding me why I am here he asks what got me in a so called 'pickle'. Laying next to him I first tell him about what I spoke with James about. "That's great. But what are you so bummed about?" Answering him I tell him what I saw when I walked into James' office.

Confused he says he's never heard James ever speak about a Sharon before. He tries to tell me it could be nothing and I'm over analyzing it. Laughing annoyed I say, "If you saw how close she was to him you'd think they're together. If only she knew what I was capable of she wouldn't have rolled her eyes at me."

"No Star. You can't hurt her." Trying to advise me he made me laugh. "Gavin I don't harm those whom don't harm me. Don't worry she isn't even worth it." Sighing in relief he continues to look at the sky, as he does this I say, "Regarding the prom I feel it's better you and I communicate other than James and I. I can't keep this up with him every time we are around each other."

"What do you mean?" He asks. I continue my explanation, "Some how I feel different when I'm with him. I haven't been in a relationship before due to my circumstances. So everything is so new. But I can't keep being around him when he isn't single."

Feeling pity towards me Gavin hugs me gently and says, "Oh Star. I am so sorry. I really hope it's all a misunderstanding. But I promise I wont say a word of this conversation to anyone." Feeling sad I hug him back enjoying it until I heard the final bell ringing.

Getting up I say, "I have to go, gotta take the girls home. But once the school knows that prom is a go send the decorating committee to my house so they can prepare the ballroom." Nodding he informs me, "Oh the theme is a masquerade. Students wear any color except black or white. Instead the staff wear black and any other chaperones wear white. The staff thought it was easier for the students to find us if they needed a parents help or teachers help."

Throwing a thumbs up I jog off the field towards the parking lot. Finding the girls already at my car we get in and go prom dress shopping to find what to wear not wanting to wait last minute.

Oooooooooo prom.