lady anne

you waited patiently outside, while your chauffeur pulled around in the stylish limo. opening the door gracefully, you stepped inside waiting to be taken to the venue.
"where to ma'am?" he asked politely.
"anne's house please, christopher." you replied.
"of course, ma'am." he said, stepping into the drivers seat and starting the engine.

the journey to anne's house, was a fairly quick, as you only lived about 20 minutes away.
"thank you christopher, i'll have you pick me up at 2:30am?"
"of course ma'am."
"thank you."

walking to the front door of her rather large house, you knocked three times, as you heard christopher zoom off. waiting patiently, wine and card both in your hand while you fiddled with the strap of you bag hanging over your shoulder, containing you cigars and a packet of matches to light them with.

"y/n, lovely to see you again, it's been a while!" anne spoke while opening the door ushering you into her large hallway.
"happy birthday darling, lovely to see you too." you replied trying your hardest at small talk. considering you attended soirées like this quite often, you always despised the small talk that would often take place during your night of drinking.
"so how have you been?" was another poor attempt at small talk on your behalf.
"oh well you know, i'm alright, busy to say the least though." anne mumbled taking you through to her even larger kitchen.
"ahh well, that's the sacrifice you make when you decide to become lady in waiting to a royal princess," you tease, handing her her birthday card and very expensive wine.
"oh shush you, thank you by the way." she laughed, playfully slapping you on the arm, walking over to her own personal bar.
"drink?" anne questioned.
"whiskey please,"
"good choice, i think i'll have a white wine." anne said, taking out a large wine glass, a whiskey glass, a bottle of white wine and whiskey. carefully she poured a decent amount of a expensive whiskey in to the glass and then placed the bottle back into its slot. then, she poured herself a glass of the wine and placed it back as well.

you continued on in conversation for the next 30 minutes or so occasionally taking a sip of you drink feeling the liquid flow down your throat with ease.

"oh gosh, look at the time people'll are going to be arriving now." anne said rising from her seating heading towards the front door, waving you to follow her. she was right, people would indeed be arriving soon, glancing at the clock seeing it was 6:50pm.
silently, you followed bag and whiskey in hand ready to help anne greet the many guests that would be arriving momentarily.

  after about 5 more minutes people came flooding into anne's house, who you each greeted and had small conversations with. with anne having so many connections, she was able to get staff for the party, meaning that there were butlers and the likes walking round handing out drinks and hors d'oeuvres to the guests. music was playing through her many record players, with one placed in each room. the majority of her friends and family that attended that birthday gathering, were smokers, which meant that the many rooms were covered in a sort of smog.

by 8:30pm all of the guests had arrived, bar one. the only and only guest of honour, her royal highness princess margret. you could sense anne getting agitated, starting to fiddle with her many rings placed on her slender fingers.

"go and mingle with your guests, i'll wait for here and let you know when she's here." you whispered into anne's hear hoping to calm her nerves slightly.
"okay, are you sure you'll be alright?" she mouthed back to you.
"i'm sure," your replied with a slight nod.
anne nodded back to you and then proceeded towards the kitchen, to where you assumed she would grab herself a rather large glass of white wine to calm herself.

now, 30 more minutes had passed and you were becoming uncomfortable. if you were being honest, you had been in need of one of your cigars for the past hour. you knew everyone at the party was smoking, but you felt impolite smoking inside of a house, you much rather smoke outside.
finally giving into your cravings, you took a chunky cigar out of your clutch and placed it in between you rosy lips. you the took a match out and struck it along the side of the box causing the flames to spark alight. you held the end of your cigar, and took a deep inhale, while blowing out the match.

on your second inhale, disaster struck. you heard three rather powerful knocks being placed upon anne's large front door causing you a fright.

slowly approaching the door with caution, you took a third inhale just for good luck. wrapping you fingers tightly around the door knob, you pull the door back revealing the one and only, princess margaret.

"your royal highness," you spoke delicately, curtsying.
"ahh, y/n lovely to see you again." she replied shivering slightly, her posh accent ringing out into the hallway. despite the warm afternoons that had recently sweeped over england the night were still quite chilly.
"come in, anne is just through in the kitchen ma'am." you spoke carefully, stepping aside to let her pass through next to you as you closed the heavy oak door. the thing about margret, that you had soon come to realise is that you should never let your guard down. when she realised you had, she would slip in a rather inappropriate comment or question. you didn't know weather this was a thing she did with only you or weather it was just something she did with everybody.
"oh yes, i'll go and talk to her in a minute. i'll have a conversation with you first." she said causing your ears to prick up.

of course. out of all the people she could have had a conversation with she chose you. her eyes scanning you body, just as you had predicted she would. you stood there awkwardly bag over your shoulder and cigar in hand.
"didn't know you smoked?" she questioned, more to herself than actually to you.
"oh yes, can't stand cigarettes though. i'd much rather have a cigar." you responded.
"i see. i've never tried cigars. do you mind?" she said reaching out her hand waiting for you to place your cigar into it.
"of course not." you said handing her the cigar, watching her curiously as her pink tainted lips wrapped around the end of your cigar as she inhaled.

she removed the cigar from around her lips handing it back to you blowing out the smoke into the quiet hallway.
"not bad, think i'll stick to cigarettes though." she said.
"nice dress you're wearing, quite revealing though. make sure prying eyes aren't able to see so much next time." she said in a growl like tone with a hint of something in her voice. something rather similar to jealousy.
you raised an eyebrow a smirk starting to form on your lips, before lifting the cigar to your lips inhaling. the blew the smoke out, making intricate O with the smoke, while the princess watched you attentively.
"mhm, how about we go and grab a drink?" the princess hummed seeming amused by your party trick.
"of course ma'am right this way." you said, leading her in the direction of alcohol and your shared friend lady anne.