the party

it was now around 11pm and you were getting rather bored. you had about 4 glasses of whiskey. you were tipsy, but definitely not drunk. you had showed princess margaret around and left her to talk with the other guests and also lady anne. anne had come over and checked in on you many times through out the night. it seems she was rather enjoying her special evening.

you hadn't really been talking to many people. the odd person would stop for 10 or 15 minutes to have a conversation with you but apart from that, that was it. you kept to yourself, staying in your little corner, every so often puffing on your cigar.

of course, the princess had been quite sociable. every once in a while, you would hear her infamous cackle ring out through the room. currently however, she sat next to the piano preparing to serenade the room. she glanced over at you, only to find you already looking at her, she gave you a slight wink, that if you had blinked you would have completely missed it. in response, you gave and over exaggerated wink making the princess to laugh. you chuckled, your eyes still glued onto the woman.

once ready, she cleared her throat and began to sing.
"red hot mamma, red hot mamma...."
she sang the whole song from memory, not once breaking eye contact with you.
as the song came to an end, all of the guest started to clap. all except from you who just stood there on eyebrow raised still making eye contact, taking a sip of your drink.

still not breaking the intense eye contact, margaret stood up from behind the piano and headed in your direction.
"oh here we go." you muttered under your breather, downing the rest of your whisky stetting down your glass onto the wooden table next to you.

"did you not enjoy my performance?" margaret said when she was eventually it ear shot of you.
"oh, i thought it was wonderful ma'am." you said with a hint of sarcasm in your tone.
"mhmm, very well. have you been enjoying yourself?" she said pursing her lips ever so slightly.
"oh i suppose, have you ma'am?" you said taking a minute to think through your answer.
"oh yes, definitely you really know how to grab somebody's attentions." she said, once again racking eyes all over your body.
"i beg your pardon, i'm not sure i understand what you mean ma'am?" you said, slightly taken aback at her forwardness.
"oh i think you know exactly what i mean." she said stretching out her fore arm, asking for your cigar.
you handed it over, scoffing slightly while doing so. as she placed the thick stick of tobacco between her rosy lips, she raised one perfectly groomed eyebrow.

"something funny?" she questioned.
"of course not ma'am." you replied annoyed. she had been playing these games all night. your eyes had been locked all over her body all night and her were on yours. it took her a while to eventually catch on, but when she did she used it to her complete advantage. for example many times during the night, she would purposefully drop her packet of matches, meaning she would have to bend over to pick them up, but when she would pick them up, she would align herself you so she was directly in your view.

she was testing you. she knew she was doing it and so did you. and your patience was wearing thin. it took all your might to not just push her up against the wall and kiss her face off.

"y/n? are you alright? you seemed rather lost in thought." margaret said, snapping you away from your train of thought.
"yes ma'am, perfectly fine just thinking." you responded, watching as she took yet another puff on your cigar.
"about?" she said squinting her eyes at you slightly.
"nothing you need to worry about ma'am." you said with a nod of your head.
"i see." she said raising an eyebrow.

after about 30 minutes of silence, margaret was still stood by your side. often you would pass the cigar between the two of you each taking a rather large puff. it was a comfortable silence, as the soft music hummed in the background. you were surprised in all honesty. margaret, from what you had heard anyway (and also witnessed), was the life of the party. always drinking and dancing along with different people. yet there she stood. beside you silently passing tobacco between the two of you not speaking a word.

"well, i must say i was hoping for a dance." margaret said, under her breath to herself not expecting you to hear her. but oh, you heard her alright. and without even thinking you said,
"well, you never asked ma'am. people who don't ask, don't get."

it was now the princesses turn to be taken aback. however she soon regained her cocky persona.
"may i have this dance miss y/l/n?" she said with an accent even posher than normal if that was somehow possible, holding out her hand.
"you may." you said taking your hand in hers and walking over to the rather small dance floor where some people were already.

carefully, margot placed her hand around your waist making you raise an eyebrow in surprise. a slight smirk was evident on her face as you placed both your arms sound her neck starting to swag gently to the melody. locking eyes, you slowly felt yourself being whisked away, falling head over heels into her hazel orbs.

"this is getting rather boring don't you think? want to go somewhere else?" margret said snapping you out of your day dream.
"it's nice to know you enjoy my company ma'am" you said sarcastically, eliciting an eye roll from the princess.
"however, it is rather late. i should be getting home ma'am." you said, glancing over at the clock no seeing the time was 2 am, and christopher was scheduled to come within the next half an hour.
"oh come on, a little longer won't hurt will it?" she said in a rather whiny tone.
"unfortunately ma'am i must refuse, i have a afternoon tea with my mother tomorrow, and she would scold me if i was hungover." you said chucking at her child like mannerisms.
"i shall make sure you aren't hungover. besides it's in the afternoon." margaret said still trying to convince you.
"you really are quite persistent aren't you? how about this, you already know my house telephone number because of mother. so give me a call and we can arrange for our own tea how about that?"  you bargained with the woman stood before you.
"sound lovely." she said releasing on hand from your waist and taking your hand in her twirling you around.

"alright. well, i best be going." you said chuckling pulling back. you started walking away bag over you shoulder, when you felt a hand around you wrist. making you dizzy, margaret spun you round, placing a gentle kiss on your cheek and whispering in your ear
"good night darling."
she pulled back, to face a rather flustered you, causing her to chuckle.
"good night." you managed to utter through your obvious state.

and with that, you turned on your heal rather embarrassed for letting margaret get this reaction out of you.
"i'm going to get her back for that." you mumbled under your breath as you open the hard oak door stepping into the cool summer breeze.

AN:
thank you so much for reading this book! i hope you like it, if you have and suggestions or feedback, i would love to hear it :) make sure to comment and vote <3