~chapter twenty-three~

3rd Person Pov:

The girl's (e/c) eyes widened for a moment. She couldn't quite comprehend what was happening. The person she liked the most, the one she loved spending time with was just kissing her. Right now, right there.

She kissed him back, still not really getting what was going on. But despite that, the warm feeling within both of them was present again. In that moment, she realized what Tanjiro was about to tell her.

After they had separated, Tanjiro's and (Y/N)'s cheeks were painted in a bright red. None of them could believe what had just happened, and yet they didn't question it. "Ah! I-I'm so, so, so sorry! This is the second time I kissed you without permission!" "Oh, i-it's fine... I- Wait, second? The second time? When was the first?!" she asked him, her expression now utterly confused.

Tanjiro began to panic slightly, realizing that he now had to tell her. So, with a lot of gathered courage, he said: "Well, the first Demons we fought... They pulled you into the swamp and I... After I rescued you, I wouldn't have made it to the air in time, so I... I just kissed you to share air with you."

(Y/N) sat there in slight disbelief. She wasn't mad. Not at all. She was just disappointed. "My-My first kiss..." she muttered out, touching her lips in embarrassment. "I didn't even remember it..." At that, Tanjiro hugged her again, saying: "Don't worry about it. I can kiss you again, if you want to."

It took him a second to realize what he had said, so he quickly apologized once more. (Y/N) just giggled, still slightly embarrassed. However, she leaned closer, kissing his lips gently. Then, she said: "It's fine. I get what you mean." Tanjiro just smiled, and they both continued to hug each other.

A bit later, Zenitsu stormed inside the room, with Inosuke following behind him, screaming how he wanted to fight. Zenitsu stopped in his tracks, making Inosuke bump into him. His brown eyes were glaring on Tanjiro. "I can't believe this. I'm stuck with this pig here while you're here, stealing my future wife away from me! Tanjiro, how could you?!"

Tanjiro was clearly taken back by that, saying: "I wasn't-" However, Zenitsu cut him off: "I knew it! You were planning to keep my (Y/N)-chan all for yourself! That's just mean! You're a mean person! Mean, mean!" "Zenitsu, stop shouting! She's asleep!" called Tanjiro, managing to silence the loud male.

He looked at him with an annoyed expression, but decided to comply. Zenitsu didn't want to wake (Y/N) up, after all. He sat down on his own bed, grumbling something to himself. Suddenly, as they were all about to fall asleep, the box that was sitting in one corner of the room started to rumble.

"Eh? The Demon is coming out! The Demon is coming out!" screamed Zenitsu, running around in circles. "It's okay." tried Tanjiro, but Zenitsu wouldn't calm down. "What do you mean it's okay?! Huh?!" "Shush! It's the middle of the night, Zenitsu!"

At all of their screaming, (Y/N) opened her eyes, yawning as she asked: "What's the commotion about?" The screams stopped for a second as Zenitsu eyed the sleepy girl. "(Y/N)-chan, the Demon is coming out of the box!" (Y/N) smiled a little, saying: "Really? That's nice." "Huuuh?!"

"Inosuke! Inosuke, protect me!" screeched Zenitsu, only for Inosuke to shove him away, saying: "Don't come near me!" While they were busy screaming and panicking, the Demon girl silently got out of the box. Zenitsu stopped in his movements as Tanjiro called out to his sister. "Nezuko!"

Zenitsu continued to stare, before freaking out. "Nezuko is my-" tried Tanjiro, but Zenitsu cut him off. "Tanjiro. You... You're so lucky!" "Eh?" Tanjiro was utterly confused at Zenitsu's strange accusations.

"So you were not only walking around with a pretty girl like (Y/N)-chan, but you were also carrying such a cute girl with you? You got two cute girls with you? Give me one of them!" Zenitsu's screaming was becoming louder and louder with every word he spoke.

"I! I! I didn't work this hard so that you can go all lovey-dovey and enjoy your time with not only one, but two girls!" "Zenitsu, please calm down. Why are you suddenly-" tried Tanjiro again, but Zenitsu grabbed his sword, screaming: "The Demon Slayers! They are not to be trifled with! Guys like you need to be exterminated! Immediately! Don't underestimate us!"

Time skip: about a week later

(Y/N) Pov:

"Thank you very much." I said, bowing down to the old lady. Tanjiro thanked her, too, by saying: "We'll be going now! Thank you for your care." The lady then proceeded to wish us good luck and a save journey with the sparks. After that, Inosuke suddenly lost it.

He jumped towards her, screaming: "What are you doing, you old hag?!" Tanjiro quickly pulled him back, with Zenitsu saying: "Are you stupid?! These are 'sparks', you know? The old lady is helping us ward off evil spirits! After all, we are about to embark on a dangerous mission!"

"No matter what may happen, please live your lives with your heads held high. I wish you luck on your coming battles." spoke the lady, and we started to go on our way. "Heads held high? Luck for our coming battles? What does that mean?" asked Inosuke.

"It means that we should truly try to understand our current standing, and upon this standing, we must devise and follow the correct course of action, without any fear of shame or embarrassment. I think. This is the old lady's way for praying for our safety." explained Tanjiro, making me nod. We were holding hands as we ran towards our new mission.

Basically, the whole past week, we spend as much time together as possible. It was still embarrassing to show that much affection, but Tanjiro didn't mind that. He said that he didn't mind it at all. He's just so sweet and nice.

It wouldn't be long until we would reach our destination, Natagumo Mountain. And to be honest, I was kind of afraid of it. I mean, when I asked our crow, he said that there were many other Demon Slayers already there. So why would they need us to be there, too?

Once we had a brake at night, Nezuko got out of her box. I asked her to take a walk with me, since I wanted to talk to her. I know that I could've just talked to Tanjiro, but I wanted to have a short moment with her.

She nodded at me, and we took a quick walk. I asked: "Nezuko, should I be worried?" She only looked at me as I continued: "I mean, I have this bad feeling, and things just don't add up. Should we really go to Natagumo?" Nezuko nodded her head, patting my shoulder in a soothing manor.

I smiled at her, saying: "Yeah, you're right. If we really want to safe people, then we have to head there. Thank you." She only nodded once more, humming softly. "And another question... Do you mind if I... if Tanjiro and me are... You know, a couple?" I asked her quickly, hoping to receive the answer I wished for.

She hesitated for a moment, then shook her head, patting my head. I smiled, saying: "Thank you so much. It's still so new to me, and it honestly... It's so much all at once. But I really do like Tanjiro. Yeah, I love him with all of my heart." At that Nezuko hugged me, humming once more.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://www.pinterest.ch/pin/661325526519878075/