~chapter seventy-nine~

3rd Person Pov:

"I didn't tell the shitty brat about this, but there are other ways to change the doll's movements aside from just turning the key behind its neck." explained Kotetsu, pulling out a small box from his pocket, showing it to the two Demon Slayers.

He asked: "Do you know about wooden puzzle boxes?" "Yeah, I do. My sister Hanako had one." answered Tanjiro, smiling at the memories of his little sister. Kotetsu, noticing (Y/N)'s confused expression, began to explain.

"You have to move everything in the right order or it won't open. Same principle here. You can change the doll's movements depending on how many times you rotate its fingers." he said, starting to do just that.

He continued his little speech: "We swordsmiths establish the weaknesses of the swordsmen, then we make them fight the doll after matching its movements to those weaknesses. If we don't do this, then there's really no point to having a training session." "Oh, I get it! Can I go first?" asked the female Demon Slayer, to which Kotetsu nodded.

She held her weapon ready, taking in a deep breath. Without hesitation, the doll began attacking her with its five arms, the movements incredibly fast. She, however, didn't let that bother her. Instead, she began evading the incoming attacks.

Her body moved around so smoothly it looked like she was dancing on the battle field. Taking in a certain breath, the blade changed its color to lavender-blue. She concentrated solely on her opponent and her movements, speeding towards the doll at inhuman speeds.

Within a single moment, she was right in front of the doll, thrusting her sword forwards in order to land a single hit. And just like that, she had successfully used the Insect Breathing, Dance of the bee sting.

She did manage to hit the doll, and she immediately jumped back, out of the attack's way. Kotetsu rushed in, turning the doll off. He then nodded, giving the female Demon Slayer a thumbs-up, saying: "Now that's improvement if I've ever seen it!"

Smiling tiredly, (Y/N) said: "Thank you." "Woah, (Y/N)! You really can use the Insect Breathing!" said Tanjiro, smiling brightly at his girlfriend. He was obviously proud of her, and he didn't mind showing that.

"Ah, yes. I wanted to strike the doll, but not damage it too much. The Insect Breathing works with weaker, faster movements, so I thought it would be perfect for this." she explained, returning his smile.

Time skip: a week later

(Y/N) Pov:

I watched in horror as Tanjiro kept on being beaten up by the doll. And this time, Kotetsu gave the doll real swords. I could only sit back and do nothing as he was about to get killed by the very same doll that I can easily counter by now.

But the thing is, I haven't slept in three days, and Kotetsu didn't allow us any food for the past five days. Thank god I was good enough to 'earn' some water... Kotetsu is truly a horrible teacher, and I sure as hell am never going to train under him ever again. Ah, I'm starting to miss Sensei even more...

I let out a tired sigh, watching how the doll went to attack Tanjiro. The doll's movements are really easy to see through once you've gotten sued to them. But Tanjiro doesn't have my incredible vision. He has a very, very keen nose, but that won't help him much here.

In the last second, he managed to doge the doll's attack, striking it with the sword I had given him prior. He also managed to fall face-first into the ground, not breaking his fall at all. I smiled a little, saying: "Good work, Tanjiro."

"You landed a blow, Tanjiro-san! It was so soft that it didn't do shit, but food! You earned some!" called Kotetsu. And as if he had any kind of magic powers, I jumped up, suddenly filled with life and power. "I want (f/f)! A ton of it!" I called, looking at Kotetsu. Tanjiro, too, yelled: "Rice Balls with plums! Tea! Super high quality!"

And, sure enough, Kotetsu brought us our requested meals. I almost started to cry, shoving lots and lots of food into my mouth. While I did so, I heard Tanjiro laughing. Confused, I looked at him, and he said: "You eat like Inosuke!"

I began laughing, saying: "Oh, shut up! Inosuke would start a fistfight over that comment, though." He smiled, saying: "That's very true. Want some?" He offered me a rice ball, which I gladly accepted, handing him a bit of my (f/f).

Time skip: two hours later

3rd Person Pov:

"(Y/N), get back!" "On it!" they called towards each other, both wielding swords. Tanjiro jumped past (Y/N), trying to slash at the doll, but the doll was a little bit quicker. It aimed for Tanjiro's head.

He knew that, but didn't seem very bothered by the fact that the doll was wielding real swords this time. And that had an easy explanation behind it. He trusted (Y/N) with his life. No matter what, he knew that she would deflect the attack and cover him, all so that he could inflict some damage to the doll.

And that was exactly what happened. Well, partly. While (Y/N) did her part of the battle, Tanjiro hesitated to cut the doll's neck. If he were to break it, he feared that Kotetsu would be sad.

"Cut it down! I don't care if you break it! I can fix it for sure!" called Kotetsu, hoping to reach the young couple, who were occupied with their training. So, with all of his strength, Tanjiro swung his blade at the doll, managing to hit the neck.

However, from the strong impact, his own sword shattered, and he fell to the ground. (Y/N) immediately held a hand out to him, smiling sweetly at him. "You did it." He returned her smile, his cheeks dusted a light shade of red as he took her hand, letting her help him standing back up.

"Are you okay?!" asked Kotetsu, approaching the two of them. Tanjiro averted his eyes from (Y/N)'s (e/c) ones, saying: "Yeah, we are. Sorry, I broke the blade I borrowed." "It's fine, don't worry. I can just- What?!" said Kotetsu, cutting himself off as he stared at the doll.

The two, young Demon Slayers slowly turned around, watching as the head of the doll was completely broken, reviling a sword that was, apparently, build into the doll's body.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://www.pinterest.ch/pin/67202219431029133/