~chapter seventy-two~

Tanjiro Pov:

I can finally go outside on my own again! Smiling, I walked down the hallway, following the sweet scent of (Y/N). She said she'll probably be training by the time I can leave the bed. So, I want to surprise her with a visit!

Stepping out into the beautiful garden, I took in a deep breath of the fresh, flowery air. "I sure missed this." I said to myself, looking around, trying to spot (Y/N). And once I did, my eyes went wide.

She was moving gracefully, her hair swaying with her every move. Her (e/c) eyes were closed, indicating that she was concentrating on the dance. On the Hinokami Kagura. "Wow..." I said, without realizing that I actually said it out loud. Blushing, I quickly sat down, continuing to watch her.

After a few minutes, her dancing came to a stop, and she opened her eyes again, releasing her breath. Her eyes then met mine, and she immediately smiled, walking up to me. "Tanjiro! Sorry, I didn't know you were here. How are your injuries?" she asked, sitting down next to me.

I returned her smile, answering: "Oh, don't worry. I'm as healthy as before the mission! And you? Are you-" I stopped talking, noticing something on her cheek. "A scar?" I asked, gently placing my hand onto her cheek, wiping my thumb across the thin, almost white line. It went from under her eye towards her ear, not much longer than an inch. But it was notable.

"Hm? This scar? It's from Nezuko." she said, like it was nothing important. My eyes widened once more as I asked: "What? What happened?" She let out a quiet chuckle, saying: "It's nothing too bad, you know? She scratched my face when I was trying to calm her down during the fight against Upper Moon Six."

"She really did? I'm so sorry! I don't know what's gotten into her, I-" I started, but she cut me off. "Tanjiro, it's fine." I stopped talking, just staring into her mesmerizing, (e/c) eyes. "It's like a reminder that I managed to calm her down before anything escalated. I don't mind it that much, really."

"(Y/N)..." I trailed off, a soft smile on my face. "Yes?" she replied, returning my smile. "Thank you." I said, leaning closer to kiss her. She did the same, and we shared a rather long, loving kiss. "Woah, I really missed you." she said, chuckling.

I placed my arms around her, hugging her close to me. I asked: "How's your training going?" She let out a hum, then said: "Pretty good, I'd say. Thanks to Uzui-san, I'm able to move around way quicker and more silent. Oh, and I think I can finally use the Insect Breathing in battle."

"You can? That's amazing." I said. She nodded, saying: "I know, right? To think that I can use five different Breathing Techniques... It's actually amazing, isn't it?" "Five- You can use five?" I asked, surprised at the high number.

She nodded, saying: "Yeah. I can use the Hinokami Kagura, Water Breathing, Insect Breathing, Flame Breathing, and some parts of the Moon Breathing. How I know that last one's still a mystery to me, though."

"It's still very impressive! You're getting even stronger!" I said, to which she nodded, chuckling. "I mean, I guess I have to. With my father being a legend and all..." "Your father?" I asked, causing her to sigh softly, saying: "Yeah. He was an amazing man. He even trained Rengoku-sensei for a while."

"Really?" I asked, looking up at the bright, blue sky. "Mhm. His name was Kei, and he was truly amazing. He taught me the Moon Breathing when I couldn't even hold a sword correctly." she said, chuckling to herself.

"Kei... Kei (L/N)? I think I've met him before." I noted, to which she looked at me, asking: "Wait, for real?" Nodding, I said: "Yes. Ah, now I remember! He used to visit our family when dad was still alive."

Ten years ago:

3rd Person Pov:

"What is this?" asked a young boy, his red eyes fixed on the weapon that was strapped to a man's waist. "Tanjiro, please be kind to our visitor." reminded the boy's mother, holding another child in her arms.

"Oh, it's fine, Kie-san." said the tall man, smiling kindly at the boy. "Want to see something interesting?" he asked, to which young Tanjiro nodded. He then looked up at his mother, asking: "Can I?"

Kie nodded, saying: "Of course." He grinned, turning to face their visitor once more. Kei (L/N) smiled, carefully drawing his blade, saying: "Look at the blade. What color does it have?" Tanjiro answered: "It's purple!" "Mhm. Now look closely." instructed Kei, taking in a certain breath.

"Woah! Mama look, it changed from purple to green! And now it's red!" said Tanjiro, his red eyes wide and shining. Kei chuckled, placing his sword back to where it belongs, asking: "How old are you, Tanjiro?"

"Hm? I'm five years old." he answered. "Really? You're just a bit older than my daughter, then! Do you want me to bring her along on my next visit?" asked the man, causing Tanjiro to nod furiously. "Yes, I'd like to make new friends!"

Laughing, the adult said: "You're so energetic. Just like my son." "Sorry to keep you waiting, Kei." said another, male voice. Kei turned his head, saying: "Don't mind it, Tanjuro. Your son is very sweet, by the way." "He didn't cause you any trouble, did he?" "Of course not."

Back to present:

(Y/N) Pov:

"Who knew my father knows everyone!" I said, laughing a little. Tanjiro joined in on my laughing, saying: "I guess so." "Yeah, he was truly amazing. I do miss him, just like my mom, and my brothers." "I miss my family, too." he said, both of us releasing a heavy sigh.

"(Y/N)-san! Tanjiro-san!" called a female voice, one I easily recognized. We turned our heads, with Tanjiro asking: "Is something wrong, Aoi-san?" She shook her head, handing him a letter, saying: "No, everything's great! Here, you two got letters." "Letters?" I asked, looking at the one that Tanjiro handed me.

We each opened the letters we got, our eyes widening. "Woah, this is..." I began, not able to find the right words. "This... is not good..." trailed Tanjiro off. "Yeah..." I said, slowly looking up.

My letter just read 'I have no sword for you! Go to hell, I hate you!' Tanjiro's pretty much read the same. "Uh-oh. I knew I shouldn't have damaged and lost my sword..." I said, gulping. Tanjiro said: "Maybe it's because I actually broke it before."

"Well, how about you two head to the village?" said Aoi-san, seemingly deep in thought. "You two should meet him in person and tell him to cut it out!" she added, nodding while crossing her arms over her chest.

"The village?" asked Tanjiro, tilting his head a little. I said: "Oh, you mean the swordsmith village? All the swordsmiths live there, a secret village that moves locations once in a while." "Wait, can we really go there?" he asked, making Aoi-san nod.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/717198309418955004/?mt=login