~chapter fifty-nine~

3rd Person Pov:

Uzui had left, and Tanjiro sighed, saying: "Maybe he didn't believe us because we're members of the lowest class." To that, Inosuke said: "We're currently at the Kanoe rank right now. We're higher up now. The fourth lowest on the chain."

"Huh?" Tanjiro was clearly confused. "Hm? You didn't know?" asked (Y/N), watching how Inosuke flexed his muscles, saying: "Show us our ranks!" Kanoe was now written on Inosuke's fist, showing off his rank.

Tanjiro was still confused, not being able to say anything as he processed this newly found information. Inosuke, confused on why he didn't know this, asked: "Wasn't your hand all itchy in the Wisteria mountains?"

"I remember feeling an itch, but I was tired... I didn't know about this." admitted Tanjiro, looking at his fist. Slapping his shoulder rather harshly, Inosuke said: "Cheer up!" Nodding, Tanjiro said: "Yeah, now's not the time. My bad. When night falls, I'll head to the Ogimoto house, where you'll be. Wait for me until then. Acting alone will be dangerous. Today, I'll finish investigating the house I'm currently in."

"Why?!" asked Inosuke, grabbing Tanjiro by his cheek. "Inosuke, don't be so rough!" called (Y/N), grabbing Inosuke's arm and prying it off of Tanjiro. She then said: "There is a demon in our house."

"Yeah! So come over now! You really are a total dumbass!" yelled Inosuke. "You're wrong!" said Tanjiro, starting to explain himself. "Uzui-san was standing watch outside the stores at night, right? But Zenitsu disappeared and the demon at your house hid itself. I think there might be passages inside the buildings."

"Passages?" asked (Y/N) and Inosuke at the same time, waiting for Tanjiro to continue. "Yeah. The fact that there are no demons going in and out of the houses means that there's a high chance they're working inside. The demons work in the brothels. Which means if they're acting tactfully as humans, they'd have to exercise more caution in killing humans so nobody would notice."

"Right... Cleaning up a murder isn't going to happen in a few minutes." noted (Y/N), making Tanjiro nod. He said: "This is a night district. So demons will find some things convenient, but not others. They have to work at night or people would begin to question them."

He then looked into (Y/N)'s eyes, saying: "I believe Zenitsu and all three of Uzui's wives are alive. And I will act with that in mind. I'll save them for sure. I want you two to act with that in mind as well, (Y/N), Inosuke. And don't die under any circumstances. You okay with that?"

Grinning, (Y/N) gave him a thumbs-up, saying: "That was the plan!" Inosuke said: "Everything you said just now was what I was trying to say!" "Great! Let's scatter, then!" called Tanjiro, and the three of them did so.

Time skip: about an hour later

(Y/N) Pov:

Demon! I saw it! Even if just a little, I'm sure I saw it! This is Tanjiro's house, but he already left it. This is bad! The demon's in there. I grabbed my sword, which some of Uzui-san's muscle-mice brought me just a bit ago, and jumped through the window. "Gotta eat you now so I don't forget to. After all, tonight's your last night. Right, Koinatsu?" asked the demon, just as I made it inside.

Her head quickly snapped towards my direction. "You're a demon slayer, huh? So you came." Her obi was wrapped tightly around a woman, who I assumed to be Koinatsu-san. Her eyes... In the demons eyes stood 'upper rank six'. An upper rank demon?!

The demon asked: "How many of you are there? There was that ugly blond brat, right? Is the Hashira comin? He's coming soon, right? You're not a Hashira. You seem weak." Suddenly, Koinatsu-san's body was beginning to disappear into the obi. It looked like her head was floating.

"You do realize I don't want any non-Hashiras, right? I don't eat dirty old people and abominations. But you don't look too bad. No, you're actually pretty cute. I guess I could eat you, too." said the demon, causing me to glare at her.

I said: "I won't let you." Her gaze sharpened as her obi was suddenly very, very close to me. I almost gasped as I dodged, trying to cut it. "Who do you think you're talking to?" she asked, the obi moving even faster.

Luckily, I was able to track the obi's movements. Even so, my body couldn't react in time and I happened to get hit by it quite a bit. Still, I tried to get closer to her. Keyword, tried.

In just a few seconds, she had her obi wrapped around my whole body, squeezing me. It was getting hard to breath as I tried to move my sword. I did manage to cut some parts of it, but she noticed right away and tightened the obi.

Then, as she was covering my head, I saw Tanjiro jumping into the room. His eyes widened as he yelled: "Let her go!" Sighing, the demon turned around, saying: "Another non-Hashira. Don't talk to me like you matter!"

She attacked Tanjiro with her obi, sending him flying through the wall and into another house. "Tanjiro!" I called out, trying once more to free myself. Just a second later, everything went black.

Tanjiro Pov:

If my body didn't react like this, I wouldn't be alive. My limbs are feeling weak because I'm afraid. I''m feeling numb because I obviously took a strong blow to my back. The demon's weapon is her obi. It has an unusual power.

She can trap people inside her obi, so that's why I couldn't find any passageways, despite how hard I looked. If there's an opening big enough for the obi to pass through, she can take them. Which means that I have to cut it off before she can take (Y/N) and Koinatsu-san away.

"You're alive. Hm, you got more bone than I thought. Pretty eyes there. I'll just gouge them out and eat them." said the demon, about to jump out of the window. I put Nezuko's box down, saying: "Sorry, Nezuko. I loosened the strap. I can't fight with you on my back. Don't get out of the box. Not unless your own life is in danger."

I took a deep breath, tightening the grip I had on my sword. Breath of Water, Fourth Form, Striking Tide: Turbulent. I jumped towards her, and she did the same. We attacked each other, and I managed to cut the part I aimed for.

As we both landed, I glanced back at the part of the obi that had Koinatsu-san in it. She partly fell out of the obi. A bit further away was (Y/N), who was fully out of the obi, yet unconscious. The demon grinned at me, saying: "You're cute, but ugly. Now don't get too attached. You're like a rat who's about to die."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://www.pinterest.ch/pin/576531189791956988/