~chapter seventy-seven~

3rd Person Pov:

Staring at the doll, Tanjiro asked: "Its arms... Why are there six?" Kotetsu answered: "Its arms? Well, according to my dad, this doll is modelled after an actual swordsman. They had to give it six arms, or they couldn't replicate his movements."

"Is that true?" asked (Y/N), amazement written all over her face. "Was he that powerful?" she added, keeping close watch on the doll's movements. Kotetsu nodded, answering: "I believe it's true."

Tanjiro, looking down at Kotetsu, asked: "So who is this person? What exactly did he do?" "Sorry, I don't know the details either. But it dates back to the Sengoku Era." "S-Sengoku?! You mean... it's more than three hundred years old? How has it not broken after all this time?" asked Tanjiro, his eyes wide.

Kotetsu turned his head to look at the mist Hashira currently training with the fighting-doll, answering: "Its construction is so superb that we can't hope to achieve that even even now. So if it breaks, we can't fix it anymore..."

He then tilted his head towards the ground, adding: "My dad died suddenly, and I have no siblings, so I have to be the one to fix it. But I don't have the talent to fix blades or dolls..." "I see..." trailed Tanjiro off, feeling pity for the young boy.

He then looked over at his girlfriend, taking note of the impressed expression on her face. Her eyes were seemingly glued to the ongoing fight, and she seemed to be taking mental notes. "Amazing..." she trailed off, remembering seeing a similar fighting style before. "Just like..."

"This person is amazing. He's just as young as we are, but he's so talented..." trailed Tanjiro off, the amazement written clear on his face. To that, Kotetsu lightly scoffed, saying: "Well, of course! That boy is a distant relativ of the (L/N) family and a descendant of the Breath of the Sun users!"

At that, (Y/N)'s head snapped around to look at Kotetsu, asking: "What did you just say?" "He's a descendant of the-" "I heard that part, but... Is it true? Is he really related to the (L/N) family?" she asked, urging the kid for answers.

Kotetsu hesitantly nodded, saying: "Yes, in some distant way." "Then that makes him... my distant relativ? And I fought him earlier? I'm so sorry!" she replied, starting to panic slightly. Confused, Kotetsu asked: "What? What do you mean?"

She looked down at him, then answered: "Oh, right. Sorry, you didn't know. I'm (Y/N) (L/N), the daughter of Kei (L/N)." It took Kotetsu a moment to process what she had said. But as he did, he yelled: "What?!"

Chuckling, she said: "It's true!" "Can you use multiple breathing techniques?" asked Kotetsu, basically jumping in his spot. (Y/N) nodded, saying: "Mhm, I can. I'd show you, but I don't have a sword at the moment." "Woah! So amazing!"

Thinking for a short moment, (Y/N) muttered: "Maybe I saw our ancestors in that dream?" She said it more to herself, not sure what to think of that. "A dream? Now that you mention it, I saw that puppet in a dream, too." noted Tanjiro, looking over at the puppet, then at his partner.

"What? You're total morons. Have you ever come to this village before? You're both being so delusional that you make me laugh. So you know a warrior from the Sengoku Era? How old are you?" asked a crow, suddenly landing on (Y/N)'s shoulder.

"Hm? You're... Muichiro-san's crow, right?" she asked, to which the crow replied: "Of course I am!" Tanjiro, looking a bit dumbfounded, said: "Sorry about that. I must look weird." "No, no!" called Kotetsu, seemingly thinking for a moment.

Shortly after that, he said: "Maybe those were memories that were passed on? It's a common saying in my village. Appearances aren't the only things that are inherited. Living things pass on their memories, too."

"Passed on memories?" asked Tanjiro, repeating Kotetsu's words. The young boy nodded, continuing: "For example, someone having memories of seeing the same scene when they first forge a sword, or know how to do something they've never done before. We call those inherited memories."

He concluded: "So the dreams you saw must have been your ancestors' memories!" "Ridiculous! Ridiculous!" called the crow, seeming pretty upset about this topic. "Thanks, you're so sweet. My name's Tanjiro. What's yours?" asked Tanjiro, smiling kindly at the young boy in front of him. "I'm Kotetsu. You don't have to listen to this bully of a crow."

Suddenly, they all heard the sound of wood being destroyed. Their heads turned towards the ongoing battle, watching how the mist Hashira had managed to land a hit on the puppet, causing quite some damage.

Starting to shake, Kotetsu quickly turned away, starting to run, leaving the two Demon Slayer behind. "Kotetsu! Wait!" called Tanjiro, about to go after him. But he noticed that (Y/N) didn't move a muscle.

"Tanjiro, I'm sorry for being selfish, but I'd like to stay and watch Muichiro-san fight. And when he's done, I'd like to talk to him about our possible shared ancestors." she said, guilt filling her up for abandoning Kotetsu and Tanjiro temporarily.

Shaking his head, Tanjiro gently placed a hand onto her shoulder, saying: "No need to worry! I'll find Kotetsu on my own and bring him back. Mind watching over Nezuko for me, though?" Smiling, (Y/N) said: "I'll gladly look after her." "Thank you." said Tanjiro, putting the wooden box on the ground before starting to run after the young boy.

(Y/N) immediately put the box onto her back, saying: "I'll protect you for now, Nezuko." She turned her head back to the fight, continuing to watch in awe. Not long after that, he was done, having destroyed the puppet.

Muichiro began to leave, carrying the broken arm still attached to the sword of the puppet with him. (Y/N) quickly ran after him, blocking his way. "Who are... Oh, right." said Muichiro to himself, remembering her face.

(Y/N) said: "Muichiro-san, I'm so, so sorry for what I did earlier! Please, let me talk to you for a moment." Slightly confused, Muichiro said: "As long as you make it quick." "Really? Thank you!" replied (Y/N), taking a deep breath.

"You and me... We're distant relatives."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://bleble.artstation.com/projects/Xn4eEa