Chapter 1: ℒ𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑔'𝓈 ℱ𝓇𝒾𝓈𝓉 𝒮𝓉𝓇𝒾𝓀𝑒

Lightning's Frist Strike

New York 2013

I held my phone up, recording my daughter, Freya, as she was called back up to the microphone to spell out another word. I held my breath as she was given the word and nearly gave a cheer as she spelled it with practiced precision. Freya had been practicing for this spelling bee the whole year, gleaning help from any and all that would sit long enough with her. That girl had a will unlike any I'd seen. A will she knew how to use to her full advantage.

It was the final round now. Freya and a little boy were the last one's standings. Freya was called up to the microphone again. The word was "excitement" and Freya stumbled. When they called it incorrect, I gave a cheer, not caring about the annoyed parents around me. Second place was still a win in my eyes.

The spelling bee came to a close and I was wrapping Freya up in a tight hug in moments. "Good job, baby! Look at that fancy ribbon!" I said, fixing the gray ribbon they had buttoned to her dress. Freya beamed.

"I spelled chicken!" I giggled, placing her back to her feet.

"I saw! What do you say we grab dinner at Sunrise Steakhouse?" Freya gasped, all but jumping up and down.

"Yes, yes, yes!" Once Freya had her winter coat on and was holding my hand, we made our way out of Maple Hill Elementary School.

The streets of New York City were chaotic as always and the snow only made it more miserable. Freya and I had moved here about seven years ago, and I still haven't gotten used to the hustle and bustle of city life.

As we walked down the sidewalk, we passed one of the many dead alien worms that lay in the rubble of a building. It's only been a year since that guy--Loki invaded New York with his alien crew. A year since I thought Freya and I would be shot in the streets. A year since I'd gotten back on my feet, finding a new job and such.

I should have moved then. New York was no longer safe--well, as safe as the Big City could get. Not only were aliens real and a problem, but the Avengers were always running about destroying something. It was just a matter of time before that something was Freya, and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if she was hurt.

But I had nowhere else to go. Going back to Virginia was a no-go. My dad had disowned me years ago. There were always my grandparents, but I'd already burdened them with me and Freya for longer than I should have. So New York was to stay until I found a better option. And anyway, I'd nearly worked myself to death to get the little run-down apartment we lived in. There was no way I'd give that up so easily.

"Mommy! Mommy look!" Freya tugged at my hand just as we were about to cross the street.

"Freya, pay attention. You have to be--" Screams had me stopping.

"Mommy!" When I turned, I felt my blood freeze in my body.

Floating there in the sky was a large spaceship. It was rocky and spikelike and evil-looking. I grabbed Freya up in my arms despite her complaints. No, no, no! Not again. And like some swarm of bees, tinier ships came flying out of the big one, rushing down into the city.

I ran. Everyone ran. It was utter chaos.

Game plan. I had a game plan in case this ever happened again. I needed to go down into the subway, away from the falling buildings and crazy aliens. But I hardly got half a street down before one of the tinier ships landed before me. No, no, no!

Freya whimpered in my arms. All that mattered was her. Nothing else mattered.

I booked it, rushing past the ship and further into the city. When no alien immediately chased after us, a gave a silent thank you to the universe.