Chapter 12: 𝒯𝑜𝑜 𝒮𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉

Too Sweet

I woke up warm and extremely comfortable. I blinked my eyes open, staring out the window. I found it was raining. Sorning filled my ears. But not the normal, soft yet loud snoring Freya produced. No, it was joined by a deep, man's snore. I turned around slowly in bed, finding Freya curled up between me and Thor, both still dead asleep.

He stayed. I hadn't thought he would. I mean--I had asked him to. After the summoning of that demon, I hadn't felt safe. I had been seeing things in the shadows, things that weren't there. I had gone to go look for him, only to find him sitting against the wall opposite Freya's door, fully armored and ready to fight.

It had shocked me, to say the least, but I had been grateful he had been there. I ended up asking him to sit inside the room until I fell asleep, but that had turned into him joining Freya and I in bed, holding us in his huge arms.

And here we were. Tucked together in this bed that seemed too small with the inclusion of Thor. Thor who was invested in Freya's safety--in her life. Unlike any man I've ever known.

I couldn't help myself when my fingers brushed some of his hair away from his face, so I might look at it better. Did I let my hand linger a little longer than I should have? Definitely. Did this result in the god's eyes lully open and my embarrassment to flood? Definitely.

I went to pull my hand away quickly, but he grabbed it before I could. "Uh--sorry--I was just--uh-" I had no explanation. Heck, I couldn't even come up with a flimsy lie. "Sorry." I all but whispered, feeling my face become the sun. Thor chuckled, replacing my hand back where it had been moments ago.

"'Tis alright. It is quite--nice." He spoke softly as well. His words made my heart pound violently in my chest. With some newfound, weak confidence, I let my fingers mess with bits of his hair. His crystal blue eyes fluttered close again.

We stayed like that for a long moment, me running gentle fingers through his hair and he running a soothing thumb over the top of my hand. Freya still slept like a rock between us. "I should go," Thor spoke softly, his eyes reopening. As soon as he said it, I knew I didn't want it.

"Do you--" I rushed, taking hold of his hand. "--have to go?" Thor stared my way for a long moment, a soft smile on his lips.

"If you wish me to leave, I shall do so." I shook my head, holding his hand tighter. "I want to apologize for yesterday--" He spoke softly, as to not wake Freya.

"No, I should apologize. I pushed for us to use the spell. I let Loki get in my head."

"If the spell had worked, it would have been very helpful. You pushed for good reason." He resumed brushing his thumb over my hand.

"I'm just...just so scared of losing her. She's all I have." Thor shooted closer, our faces closer thanks to the movement.

"As long as I live, I swear you will never lose her." I breathed through my nose, a weak smile forming on my lips.

"Thank you...for looking out for her. Freya's lucky to have you in her life."

"And I am a better man for having her in mine--having you both." I gave a scoffing laugh at the last part.

"All I've done since we've met is give you a headache."

"You've done no such thing. You've made me worry, yes, but you've never burdened me with such a thing."

"You're too sweet to me."

"Is that a bad thing?" I smiled.

"No...I guess it isn't."