Chapter 19: 𝒲𝒶𝓈𝓉𝑒𝓁𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝑜𝒻 ℐ𝒸𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 ℳ𝒾𝓈𝓉

Wasteland of Ice and Mist

As we went over our plan, I was starting to think this was a bad idea. And you know it's a bad idea when these Asgardians, who've been in countless battles and were literal gods, looked just as nervous as I felt. Looked like they thought this was a bad idea as well.

And our plan--dear lord, our plan merely consisted of goals. Find Fandral, find the sword, don't die, and do not gain the attention of Rïolk and his demon hordes. The plan was goals because none of these thousand-year-old gods had ever been to Niflheim before, and like Loki had said the other day, there was hardly a map of the place.

So we were going in blind and could possibly portal into a demon hot spot. It was lovely. 

After Loki advised Freya on how to summon a portal again, and possibly one not near any demons, we stood ready. "We will only have two hours. No more, no less, and no portals being opened in between. Freya is not yet skilled enough to open on for that long, and it would kill her--possibly." Loki said, turning to our group. "So let's not draw attention to ourselves, yes?" The group gave a round of agreements. "Alright, child. Ready?" Loki said, looking to Freya.

She nodded, holding her hands out towards the wall that had been a gateway once, maybe even twice, before. She squeezed her eyes shut tight, her nose wrinkling in the process. Her hands began to glow gray and lightning zapped around her skin, but this time the lightning snaked over the ground. Me and a few others moved out of its way as it zapped its way over to the wall, crawling up the gray stone. "Reach for it, child. Remember magic is believing something into reality."

Freya gave a small, strained sound as the lightning turned into gray power. Grey power that morphed into a swirling portal. "Only let her hold it open for two minutes. Any more might harm her." Loki addressed Hildr, who nodded.

"Come, we have little time," Thor spoke heading for the portal. Before I followed after, I placed a soft kiss on Freya's cheek.

"I love you, baby. I'll see you in no time." Freya nodded quickly, another one of those strained sounds flowing from her lips. I didn't like it, but I knew she could do it. Knew we needed to go to Niflheim. With a quick smile to Hildr, I grabbed hold of Thor's hand and we walked through the portal together.

I screamed as the gray power grabbed me up in its staticy arms, pulling me sharply through the blinding gray light. My hand was pulled from Thor's and terror-filled me to the brim, but I didn't have long to think about what horrible things awaited me before I was thrown from the light.

I landed with a pained scream on hard, cold ice. Yes, ice. Loki and Dúfa had told us Niflheim was a land of ice and mist. Getting to my feet, I was very much grateful I had dressed in warm Asgardian furs. It was a wasteland of harsh ice and wind, a layer of mist covering the ground. In the distance, I could see snowy mountains and--were those lights?

Mjolnir flew past me, hardly missing me by an inch, and soon, Thor fell at my feet with a grunt. The man was quick to recover and really didn't seem to need my help, but I did anyway, making sure he wasn't hurt. "By Odin's beard...we made it." The wind blew rather hard then, the cold seeping in through the dense fur jacket I wore. I stuck myself to Thor's side, desperately trying to leech the heat from him. I was not the biggest fan of cold weather.

Soon Loki fell from the portal, then Sif and Volstagg, and then Hogun and Dúfa. Loki got to his knees, doing a dramatic hair flip to free his face of it. He laughed, a smile cracking on his face. "I didn't think she'd be able to do it." He said, making me frown. Some faith he had.

As the others rose to their feet, the portal closed behind us, leaving us in this unforgiving world. "Remember, we only have two hours," Thor shouted over the wind to everyone. "We get in and we get out." Everyone nodded. Loki took a slim sword from Sif, green magic flowing over it and in seconds Loki was handing it back.