Chapter 10: ℋ𝑜𝓌 ℬ𝒶𝒹 𝒞𝒶𝓃 𝒟𝒶𝓇𝓀 ℳ𝒶𝑔𝒾𝒸 ℬ𝑒?

How Bad Can Dark Magic Be?

The Asgardian air just felt fresher than that on Earth. Birds chirped, cool wind blew, and the sound of swords rang through the air. Thor, Freya, and I walked into a sort of training courtyard, men and women of all kinds training. It was very intimidating, to say the least.

"I don't know--can't you just train me?" I asked, looking back to Thor.

"I will be here the whole time, Clarissa. Hildr is a kind woman, she will go easy on you." I huffed.

"That's not what I'm worried about. I'm worried about everyone else and their--judgment." Thor placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Is this a private training yard. There is hardly anyone here. Look, there is Lady Sif and Fandral." Thor pointed to his two friends who were fighting rather fiercely with swords. This did nothing to make me feel better. "Ah, there she is. Hildr!" Thor bellowed, making me jump the slightest bit.

Hildr was a gorgeous woman, with short-cropped black hair and deep, slightly scarred skin. She gave a small smile, coming to a stop before us. Her hazel eyes scanned me over. "I am Hildr and you must be Clarissa." I nodded, shaking the woman's outstretched hand. "And this must be the Sunflower everyone can't keep their mouths shut about," Hildr said, kneeling down to be on Freya's level. Freya held her hand out and shook the woman's hand.

"Do you have a sword?" Freya asked.

"I do and I assume you will be getting one of your own very soon, yes?" Thor agreed right as I disagreed. We looked at each other for a moment. I didn't necessarily want Freya to have a sword so young. Maybe if she showed me she could be responsible with one.

"I don't know," Freya said with a giggle.

"Well, I guess you must train first. As do you." Hildr said, standing once more. "Come, I do not bite." I looked back to Thor who guested for me to follow the women. My stomach twisted and turned as I followed quickly after her. "Are you enjoying Asgard?" Hildr asked, heading for the track that circled the training yard. Oh god...

"Uh, yes. It's very different from Earth."

"That it is. Earth is beautiful in its own way. I wish to return there one day." Hildr began to stretch and I hesitantly followed her lead. "Alright. We shall run four laps and go from there." Oh god! I gave a nod before we started.

It didn't take me long to get exhausted. Two laps to be exact, but at that point, I just had to keep going. Hildr was very kind the whole time, encouraging me and slowing her pace to keep next to me.

To be honest, it was quite humiliating. Especially when Thor and Freya joined us. I had expected Thor to be able to outrun me, but Freya? She was seven years old and had hardly broken a sweat after the first two laps she did. Thor kept pushing her, testing her speed. At one point Thor slowed down to run beside me, a goofy and huge grin on his face. "Do you see her? It's spectacular!" I huffed, giving a smile that fell quickly.

"Yes--I do." I breathed between my pants.

"I think I'll test her strength next." A small panic flared in my chest.

"Just--be careful--don't--strain her."

"Of course, my lady!" And then he booked it after Freya.

After my run, Hildr and I return to the train yard, finding it has cleared out somewhat. Fandral noticed me then, a smile on his face as he waved. "Lady Clarissa! How do you fare this evening?"

"I'm doing good. How--" Before I could ask him how he was, Sif kicked the man's legs out from under him. Fandral fell with a great oof and Sif grinned, amused.