Chapter 18: ℬ𝑜𝓇𝒹𝑒𝓇𝓁𝒾𝓃𝑒 𝒯𝓇𝒶𝒾𝓉𝑜𝓇𝑜𝓊𝓈

Borderline Traitorous

Two days later

"Forbidden?" Loki scoffed up at Odin, who stared down at us from his golden throne. Thor had been able to get an audience with his father this afternoon to speak with him about our journey to Niflheim. Odin hadn't been on board with the plan from the very beginning, but he had sat and listened until he had heard enough.

Apparently, he has forbidden all Asgardians from going to the planet ever since the Battle Against Hel.

"I grow weary of your endless disobedience, Loki." Loki chuckled, but before Thor could stop him, Loki spoke.

"We are not going to Niflheim for our own health. Malekithson breached our safeguards and attack us! We go to Niflheim to put a stop to another Dark Elven mad man before he can attack again." Loki argued back. Odin stared down at him, looking as tired as he claimed he was.

"Niflheim is a den of bloodshed and evil. We have left it and its people alone for centuries and never once have they tried attacking us. Not after their humiliating defeat."

"Yes and in that time there has been no monarchy. Rïolk has claimed the throne--"

"Enough!" Odin bellowed. Loki snapped his lips shut. "My word is law. You all are forbidden to travel to Niflheim."

"Father--" Thor made to try and smooth over the situation.

"Enough!" Thor stopped as well. "Leave me." Loki scoffed. "Remember your place, Loki. Remember I can have you thrown back in that cell in moments."

"I remember, Odin. You never fail in telling me." Loki turned sharply, not waiting to be dismissed.

"Thor, you bargained for Loki's freedom and I was generous enough to do as such. Do not make me regret it." Thor's lips pinched together as he bowed. I followed his lead.

"Of course, Father. You will not." Thor placed a hand on my back as we walked out. The doors to the throne room shut behind us as Dúfa, Sif, Hogun, Volstagg, and Freya greeted us.

"What did he say?" Volstagg asked. Freya went to hand Thor's hammer back to him, but Thor told her she could keep holding it, which Freya was more than happy to do for him. Thor placed my hand in the crook of his arm, holding me close as we began to walk away from the throne room.

"He does not bless the journey." The group gave a sigh in defeat. "Niflheim is forbidden to all Asgardians."

"What shall we do? Fandral could have little time left." Sif spoke, worry in her voice.

"We go regardless," Loki spoke, anger still radiating off him.

"It wouldn't be the first time we went against Odin's word," Volstagg said, not sounding fully on broad with his own words.

"Yes, but I have no interest in being imprisoned--or worse, exiled. We got lucky last time." Sif spoke hushed.

"I do not expect you all to join us, but this is a needed risk. Rïolk is planning something bigger than just kidnapping Freya. I fear he will try to take Asgard as his father did--maybe even try to plunge the universe into darkness." Thor spoke gravely. Sif scoffed in something like disbelief.

"You believe we would let you go alone? I do not wish to disobey my King for a third time, but for you, I would do so over and over again."

"Here, here." Volstagg cheered.

"When do we depart?" Hogun asked as Volstagg slung an arm over his shoulder, shaking the reserved man a bit.

Thor smiled, love for his friends shining in his eyes as clear as day. "As soon as we find someone to be with Freya while we venture into Niflheim. Though Heimdall would be the best option, I will not ask him to help us in this. Not unless it becomes abundantly clear we need his aid."