Chapter 11: 𝒮𝓊𝓂𝓂𝑜𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝒟𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃

Summoning a Demon

Thor, Loki, Dúfa, and I stood on the third floor in Loki's library, standing before a wall. Like everything else on Asgard, his library was amazing. Cooler and better than any library Earth had to offer. There had to be at least a million books stored away in here, as well as cool artifacts and decor.

Freya was currently with the Warriors Three and Lady Sif hopefully doing nothing dangerous. "Why are we staring at a wall again?" Thor asked the question I had just been thinking. Loki shot him a look before going back to the large book laid out on a black metal lectern.

"Because we need to create a gateway in a place where magic is present. Magic is present in this wall because a gateway had been opened in it before." Loki explained rather pressed. He looked to Dúfa, pointing to something in the book. The women all but floated over, looking gracefully at what he was pointing at. "We need bloodroot, Yimaja powder, lemon, and seven candles--six black, one red. Do you know where--" Dúfa waved the god off as she started for the stairs.

"I've only been here every waking moment for a week and a half."

"Then go get it." Dúfa huffed, disappeared into the shelves of books. Loki didn't seem to care he was being rude and merely picked a piece of white chalk out of a small, metal tin. He grabbed the book up in one arm and began drawing lines and different sorts of symbols on the wall.

I took a step closer to Thor, taping his arm with my arm to get his attention. His crystal blue eyes turned to look down at me. "Who is she? Dúfa?" Thor looked behind his shoulder, making sure the woman was gone before speaking.

"You are aware of our imprisonment, yes?" I nodded. Though I didn't know the details, I knew enough to understand what had happened. That two other power-crazed Asgardians had kidnapped and imprisoned people with powers. That horrible things had happened during their imprisonment.

"Dúfa's parents were Rán and Ӕgir, the ones who imprisoned us. Dúfa and her sisters had been turned into strange, bloodthirsty beasts by their parents, who had been using dark magic. Loki was able to free them of that curse and they fought with us against Rán. Dúfa was the only sister to survive their mothers attack. My father, while we were tearing that ship apart, found her and gave her sanctuary here on Asgard. She has been helping Loki try and find Auric, since she is skilled in magic herself."

And that's why she had been so adamant about not using dark magic. Because it had been used against her. Because it had killed her family. Because it was a horrible, horrible thing I was starting to regret agreeing to use.

I had to think of Freya. Doing this, no matter the cost, would keep her safe.

"Is there anything you need help with?" I asked Loki, who had just finished up drawing on the wall. He placed the book back down on the lectern.

"Indeed, there is." He held a finger up, telling us one moment before he disappeared. I blinked, looking around the area.

"Where'd he go?" I asked, only for Thor to give a shrug.

"He often does this."

"I need your blood." I nearly screamed at the sudden reappearance of Loki beside me. The man chuckled, pulling a small dagger from a strap on his thigh.

"Why do you need her blood?" Thor asked, taking my hand up in his.

"What I really need is that child's blood, but seeing as that is off the table..." Loki gestured to me with his knife and then gestured to the brass bowl in his hand. Yeah, Freya was off the table for all things that involved demons, knives, and blood. I held Thor's hand tighter.