Chapter 16: ℛ𝓊𝒹𝑒 𝒜𝓌𝒶𝓀𝑒𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑔

Rude Awakening

I was cold. Really cold. Ice and wind whipped around me as I stood on an icy plane. I'd never been to this place before...but something about it seemed familiar. "Clarissa..." A creepy woman's voice called my name. But when I snapped around to look for someone standing there, all I found was more ice and mist.

Statues. I saw faceless statues in the distance. I made my way over, feeling as if I needed to go to them. When I stood before them, I found they stood guard beside a cave. A deep, dark cave. "Clarissa..." The voice called to me again and without so much as a thought, I was making my way into the cave. 

I was floating in a pool of pure darkness--well, I was really just falling slowly through this darkness. Diving downward. Something called to me, begging me to find it. Begging me to pull it from this pool of darkness and back into the light.

Thor's deep voice called my name from the surface above--from the light. But I didn't stop. I needed to find it--needed to get it before something horrible happened. Before someone died.

Golden light shone up at me from the sandy ground below. This was what was calling to me. But it was foggy--too foggy to see what it was. My hands curled around the golden light.

Green flashed before my eyes and pain shot through my mind. I let out a scream that was muffled by water filling my mouth. I was being invented. Taken over by--by someone. Someone old, ancient, and dangerous. Someone who was meant to stay at the bottom of this pool. A voice echoed throughout my mind. A voice that overtook my own thoughts and soul.

"Let's begin our conquest."

The sheets being thrown off me, letting in cold air, had me awake in moments. Thor groaned, his arms tightening around me. No! I'd been so warm. "Get up, now." I snapped my eyes open finding Loki standing there holding an old book. Freya giggled from where she stood on the bed, sheets in her hands. Anger and annoyance shot through me at once.

"What in the world do you think you're doing?" Freya's giggles died in a moment, letting go of the sheets.

"Mommy--it was his idea." She said, pointing to Loki who rolled his eyes.

"Yes, blame me when it was you who let me in."

"You knocked and mommy and Thor weren't waking up and--" I gave a frustrated huff, pulling myself from Thor's arms. The god groaned again, covering his eyes with his hand.

"Loki, what is the meaning of this?"

"This." Loki tossed the huge book he held onto Thor's stomach, making the man grunt in pain.

"Loki!" He grumbled, sitting up. I leaned against him, trying to steal the warmth he radiated constantly.

"Tell them what it is, Freya."

"It's A History Of the Universe!" Thor sighed deeply, snaking an arm around my waist, holding me tight.

"I do not need a history lesson of how the universe came to be, Loki. I'm sure Freya would love to learn--" Loki pulled the book from Thor's hands, flipping through the pages.

"It's not about how the universe came to be, it's about how we can stop Rïolk." He handed Thor the book back, finding a picture of a golden-haired woman, a pair of white wings on her back on the page. Loki pointed to the golden sword she held in her hand. A sword that looked familiar--the women looked familiar.

"Isn't she the statue in the training yard? Freyja?" Freya gasped, jumping into my lap. I gave a grunt as pain flared in my legs.

"That's my name!" Freya bent her head backward to look at Loki, who stared at her in mock distaste. "Mommy named me after a Norse goddess!"