Chapter 14: 𝒮𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌 𝒶𝓃𝒹 ℱ𝓁𝒶𝓂𝑒

Shadow and Flame

"Thor!" Loki shouted as darkness seeped out of Dark Elf before us. Mjolnir appeared in Thor's hand, lightning shooting at the darkness in seconds. The darkness became a shield, ricocheting lightning right back at us. I screamed, covering Freya with my body just as some else covered me with theirs. They grunted in pain.

"Shall I assume you will not give her to me?" The darkness gave a chuckle.

"Never!" Thor bellowed. Loki let go of me, pain clear in his face.

"Run--run now." But I didn't get to do so before shadow flung Thor into us. Pain flared in my body as I was crushed to the ground. Freya whimpered, still holding me tight. Thor pulled himself up, looking into my eyes. Worry. Real, unfiltered worry shone clear in his eyes.

"Dark Elves are no friend of Asgard." Loki's voice spoke as he climbed to his feet.

"As are you, Loki Laufeyson: God of Mischief, would be King of Midgard." Thor grabbed me and Freya, pulling me to my feet. I saw daggers appear in Loki's hands, a smirk on his face.

"You know me, shadow, but I know not of you. Seems a bit unfair." Loki was stalling for time, I came to understand. Stalling so that Freya and I could escape.

"I am Rïolk: Bringer of Nightmares. Malekithson." Thor froze. Loki froze. Anger seemed to radiate off them in waves.

"Clarissa. Run. Far and fast." Thor spoke, his voice gravelly.

"But what about you--" Thor grabbed my face in his hands.

"I do not matter. All that matters to me is keeping you and Freya safe." Tears welled in my eyes. I'd be so wrong. So wrong to think he could have some sort of alternate motive.

"But--I need you to be safe..." Thor smiled softly.

"Go." Shadow crawled along the walls, closer and closer to us. Loki threw his daggers at Rïolk before holding his hands out, green magic flaring, warding off the shadow. The daggers became shadows before they ever touched Rïolk.

"Now! Go now!" Loki gritted out. Thor placed a kiss on my forehead before letting me go. Mjolnir shot into his hand lightning roaring around his skin. With one last look, he turned away.

"Move!" Loki ducked out of the way in time to let Mjolnir crash into Rïolk. Tears spilled down my cheeks as I started running, my heart beating out of my chest. Freya shouted, pointing to something besides us. Shadow was still crawling its way over the walls. To us. It shot towards us--fast and swift.

Freya was what mattered. That's all that mattered.

I threw her as hard as I could away from me. I had just enough time to watch her hit the ground, a pained cry leaving her lips--just enough time for her to turn back to me, tears streaming down her eyes. "Run!"

Shadow surrounded me.

It was cold and dark. The darkness had claws. It tore into me. Clawed at my arms and legs and face. It clawed at anything it could get at. No amount of struggling or fighting could fend it off.

Freya

I could feel my mom in pain. I could feel Thor and Loki in pain. I knew it was because of me. Fandral--no, I think his name was Rïolk--came here to get me. But why? And why did he want to hurt my mom?

"Mommy!" I screamed. She didn't call back. I could get her out. I had powers--superpowers. Lightning and super strength. I could use the magic Loki taught me too. The darkness flowed like the ocean before me, but it didn't come closer. I could feel Rïolk's evilness coming closer.