Chapter 3: ℒ𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑔'𝓈 𝒮𝑒𝒸𝑜𝓃𝒹 𝒮𝓉𝓇𝒾𝓀𝑒

Lightning's Second Strike

New York

Three days later

I stood on top of the kitchen table, trying to screw in new light bulbs. Auric had come over yesterday for dinner and upon asking Freya to show her her new powers, blew the lights.

Auric had not been arrested, it turns out, but besides that obvious fact, she told me nothing. Nothing of being kidnapped, nothing of how she escaped, nothing of how she was really doing. She was a stubborn woman who, if she had her way, wouldn't show any kind of emotion.

There was a knock at the door and before I could even think about going to answer it, Freya was running to open it. I huffed. She knew better. "Freya! Don't open--" She gasped loudly upon opening the door. From where I stood in the kitchen, I couldn't see who was at the door.

"Hello, little one." My blood froze at the deep voice.

"Mommy is going to be so happy to see you! Mommy! It's Thor!"

"Baby don't--" I started as I began to climb off the table, but the god came into view before I could hop down. Freya had dragged in him, his massive hand in hers.

"Hello, forgive me for--"

"You." I hissed, hopping off the table. Here he was, the man who held all the answers to Freya's powers, and all I wanted was for him gone. Thor looked a little taken back by my tone. "How dare you come here." I grabbed Freya away from the man, her giving a displeased series of sounds.

"My lady--"

"Do you even know what's been going on while you were off god knows where!" Freya was whining my name, trying to wiggle out of my grip. I held strong.

"I am truly sorry for not coming sooner. I was--"

"She's seven and has lightning powers and monsters coming after her! She is a child! She shouldn't have to be dealing with all this!" Thor held a hand up, trying to calm me.

"My lady, I am truly sorry for not coming sooner. I have been held captive for some time now and just now able to find you both." My rage faltered.

"You--were taken too?" The man gave a nod. "I'm sorry to hear that. I can't imagine what you all went through." Thor gave a weak smile.

"It was not all bad." A lie. I could see it in that haunted look he had. The haunted look Auric had. "I made new friends while in captivity."

"Do you know my Aunt?" Freya asked craning her head backward to look at Thor. The man gave an amused smile at this.

"What is her name?"

"Auric." Thor gave a nod, a smile forming on his face.

"You know Auric."

"Yes, Lady Auric and I are good friends." I stared his way for a long while, before letting Freya out of my arms. The god knelt down to Freya's level.

"I saw you hit those monsters with your hammer--" She made a swinging motion meant to represent his hammer. "And, and lightning shot out of it and they all went--" She made a shrieking sound and pretended to die. Thor gave a mighty laugh that had Freya laughing as well.

"Yes, it was a hard battle."

"Did you win?" Thor's smile faltered the smallest bit.

"In the end, yes. Though your Aunt did most of the winning."