Chapter 22: ℋ𝑜𝓂𝑒

Home

Thor didn't let me walk once, not that I really minded. I was cold and in pain and still having to deal with Hela who might be more annoying than Loki. She hated that comparison but learned to shut up after I stopped thinking and responding--though I did little of that seeing if I spoke, it would alert Thor and the others to her presence.

The trip to the mountain had taken about a half an hour, which was all the time we had, so when we made it back onto the icy plan, the Agsradians started running. We couldn't take half an hour getting back. If my weight was bothering Thor, he didn't say anything. It was probably a good thing, seeing as I would have needed to stop by now to catch my breath.

My head turned against my will, looking back at the mountain range. More specifically, at the lights twinkling in the distance. "The City of the Dead, the place I called home when Asgard and her people turned their backs on me. When Odin banished me here to this frozen wasteland." Hela fell silent again, which I was thankful for, but she growled in frustration a moment later. What could she possibly be frustrated about now?

"I can't reach them, my people. They do not respond to my power." Again, I didn't respond, not unless I wanted her to hurt Thor. Anyway, I had a feeling she could see into my memories and figure it out for herself.

I turned away from the glowing lights from The City of the Dead and found the blue beacon Dúfa had created a few feet away. "The portal should be opened any second now," Loki said, pocketing his ice shard as we came to a stop before it.

"What of Hogun and the others?" Dúfa spoke, looking about the wasteland.

"If they are not back when this portal opens, we can not wait for them," Loki spoke, staring at the area the portal had opened before. Dúfa turned on him.

"You're horrid." Loki didn't move for a few moments before turning to Dúfa, a wicked expression on his face. "All you care about is yourself and your wants. You push and you push and you don't care how much you take."

"You're right. I don't care. I've lived my life by the rules of others for far too long to care if I take too much. It's my right to do so." Dúfa scoffed.

"You've lived in a golden palace your whole life. Do not speak to me about living by other's rules." Hela groaned in my mind.

"You've aligned yourself with imbeciles."

"Enough, both of you." Thor bellowed, taking a step forward. "Hogun will be here, as will the others." Loki shook his head in mock amusement. Dúfa looked like she might hiss something else, but her pale pink eyes caught on something behind us.

"Oh no..." She breathed.

"Oh yes," Hela spoke, taking control of my body to wiggle out of Thor's arms.

In the distance, there was a dark cloud. A dark cloud, that as it grew closer, seemed to be made up of tinier clouds.

The portal opened up behind us, its gray light illuminating the surrounding area.

It wasn't a cloud. "Run!" Sif's voice shouted over the growing monstrous roar.

It was demons. The largest horde of them I'd ever seen. "Run!" Thor grabbed hold of my arm, trying to pull me through the portal, but I was frozen. Hela wanted to stay. She wanted to meet her people head-on.

"Clarissa--we must go, now!"

"We must wait for the others. Make sure they get through." Hela spoke through my voice. Thor stared my way for a long moment, something like confusion on his face. He wasn't buying it. Hela knew he wasn't buying it.