Chapter 5: ℐ𝓃𝓉𝑜 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒮𝑒𝓌𝑒𝓇𝓈 𝒲𝑒 𝒢𝑜

Into the Sewers We Go

The sewers, as I expected, smelled like human feces and trash. And though I tried my best to keep away from the steady flow of water running down the middle of the pipe, my shoes still got soaked. Thor didn't seem all that phased by the nastiness of this all, though his cape had disappeared into thin air as soon as we landed in here. At one point, a rat ran across our path making me scream bloody murder. Thor, of course, laughed at this.

Thor paused, holding a beefy arm out to stop me from continuing on. Just as I went to ask what, I heard it. A growling voice followed by Freya's matter-of-fact one. Thor looked down to me and I looked up at him. "As soon as I get the beast away from Freya, you will grab her and leave these tunnels." I nodded and followed Thor, who stuck close to the slimy pipe wall.

"Well, your boss sounds like a not nice person." I heard Freya speak, making the monster chuckle. A chuckle that sent an unpleasant shiver up my spine.

"He is not. Now shut your mouth before I tear your tongue out." The monster hissed, making my blood boil. I was about ready to march in there myself. Freya gagged dramatically.

"Your breath is stinky." The monster gave an angered roar, but before much else could happen, Thor rounded the corner. I peeked my head out to take in the scene. Freya sat tied in a moldy chair, her hair a frizzy mess. Thor's hammer slammed into the monster's jaw, sending it backward. It looked like the monster from the field--but that monster was dead.

"I told you Thor was my friend!" Freya shouted as Thor all but wrestled the monster down another pipe. I took that as my chance. I rushed to my baby's side, her face lighting up upon seeing me. "Mommy!" I shushed her quietly as I went about untieing her. I found this a harder task than I had thought because it took me way too long to get her free.

Thor came crashing through the concert, falling into the dirty water at our feet. His hammer lay not that far away. He groaned, getting to his hands and knees. I helped him to his feet as best I could, spotting the monster slowly making his way through the hole Thor had just made. "Two half breeds and a little prince all in one place. How," The monster licked his lips, "delicious." I physically cringed at the monster's statement. Did I know what he meant by half-breed? Nope and I weren't going to stick around to--

Thor's hammer hit the monster square in the chest, sending it back through the hole. Thor and I both turned to find Freya standing where his hammer had originally landed. "Good work, little one. Now go with your mother." Thor said, holding his hand out only for his hammer to find it a second later. Freya beamed, rushing over to me. I took her hand in mine.

"Are you going to be alright?" I asked Thor before I rushed out. The monster gave a demonic roar that chilled me to the bone. The god gave a confidant smile. A smile that all but told me he could handle this.

"I will be right behind you." I gave a brisk nod before booking it out of the rounded crossroad of sewers. Freya ran right alongside me, hardly seeming breathless.

"Did you see that, mommy? I hit him with Thor's hammer and he went like--" She gave a pained-sounding scream, pulling a silly face.

"Yes, I'm proud of you." I huffed, starting to feel the effects of all this running and adrenaline.

We made it to the exit and I rushed Freya up first, following after her. As soon as my feet hit the ground, I was taking Freya's hand and rushing home. It didn't take us long to get back. The elevator dinged open and we rode the elevator up with a woman who plugged her nose at the smell of us.

I locked the door and knelt before Freya, checking her over for any injuries. "Mommy! Mommy, I'm okay." She said, wrapping her arms around my neck and hugging me tightly. I held her back just with as much force.