Chapter 4: 𝒮𝓆𝓊𝒶𝓇𝑒 ℳ𝑒𝒶𝓃𝓈 ℬ𝓊𝒻𝒻

Square Means Buff

A Week and a half later

I threw my keys on the coffee table before flopping down on the couch. Work was killing me. The longer I sat at that desk, the more I felt my life force draining from my body. But with a rushed high school degree and no college, it was the best option I had. I heard Freya's door open softly and soon enough, the girl was crawling up on the couch and laying her head on my lap. I ran my hand through her hair.

"How was school, baby?"

"We learned multiplication." She said, having trouble pronouncing the word. "It was hard."

"I know, but you'll need it in the future." Freya gave a small sigh, messing with a loose string on my pants. I closed my eyes, leaning my head back. "Did you have fun at Mrs. Kennedy's?" Mrs. Kennedy lived on the floor above us and nannied during the day. Freya has never liked going there, but I worked all day and had no other options. I hated that she had to go there just as much as she did.

"No. The other kids are mean." She said, her voice slowly fading off as she started falling back to sleep. The other kids were mean and I had been on the receiving end of their meanness a few times. I opened my eyes, taking in her small face. She looked too much like her father, damn him. But she had heart of gold which her father could never wish for. She opened her eyes when I didn't speak again, wiggling around so she could stare up at me. Gray to deep brown. 

"I didn't use my powers today." I smiled weakly. I wanted her to be able to use her powers and I hated that she thought I didn't. It just wasn't safe.

"Good girl. Maybe this weekend we'll go to Grandma and Grandpa's and you can practice. How does that sound?" Excitement light in her eyes.

"Yes! Thank you, mommy!" I leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"I'm pooped." She giggled. "Come on." I picked her up, groaning a bit at her weight. She'd gotten so big just this past week. I wished she'd stop growing. 

Using my foot to open her door, I placed Freya on her small, purple sheet-covered bed and tucked her in. I grabbed her chicken stuffed animal and placed it in her arms. "I love you." She reached up and patted her cheek.

"I love you too, mommy." I smiled, gave her one last kiss on the cheek, and closed the door softly behind me. I sighed, going to take a shower, but there was a knock at the door. I checked my phone and found it was ten at night. No one came knocking at ten--well, maybe the old women across the hall.

Carefully, I opened the door and my blood went cold upon seeing who it was. Thor, in all his glory, stood at my doorstep, looking as drained as I felt. "Lady Clarissa, forgive me for my late arrival. I do not wish to anger you." That was a hard thing to do. 

"Then why did you come?" The god paused for a long moment that made me anxious.

"I come bearing bad news, I fear." I stared up at the god. Bad news? He looked upset. Something was upsetting him and I didn't think I was going to like it either.

"Uh--come in," I said, opening the door wider for him. He gave a weak nod and followed me in. Shutting the door, I went into the kitchen and sat, guesting for him to do the same. He placed his hammer on the ground and turned his crystal blue eyes on me.

"I--My news concerns Lady Auric, I know you both were very close." My heart stopped beating and I prepared myself for this man to tell me my best friend--my best friend who I considered a sister--to be dead. "I do not know if you were aware of Auric's struggle with controlling her power." No, I wasn't. She over and over again told me she had them under control. That she had gotten help. She'd only told me what I wanted to hear...what I wanted to see.