QOE | 020 | SEALED HEARTS

Chapter 020: Sealed Hearts

"Indeed you are right, our dreams and goals and goals are very different, but tell me what has pure blood gotten us my dear sister...has it giving you richess, or has it given father a seat at Pharoah's court eh?" Hadassah demanded an answer, but Nefertiri stayed quiet.

"You see, you can't defend yourself and do you know why, because all you do is dream, dream dream.... nothing more."Hadassah said with mockery.

"You believe your dreams are real, you think that one day you'd live the life of a princess?"

"My dear sister Nefertiri, wake up from your dreams, because you've gained nothing.... nothing Nefertiri.. nothing. Open your eyes and face reality. Our family is poor, we only rely on father's store to survive."

"All we ever do is go to the academy,where they teach us that women are weaker vessels, compared to men and then after that we go to our family's store,we go there everyday hoping once people hear that we're nobles, we'll get partronized and at the end of day, what do we get, nothing but crumbs. People treat us like we're slave. Sometimes they think we're the same as the Akkadians."

"Hadassah that's enough."

"No mother, if you're not going to tell her the truth then allow me drill it into her beautiful dreamy brain." Hadassah said distastefully.

"You say we're nobles? So then tell me, why haven't our rights been given to us all these years. Our forefathers enjoyed the luxury of working with Pharoah, but after that what happened to grandfather, he died fighting for his right. And did they consider his death giving us the rights, No!"

"Tell me Nefertiri, aside father, has our family ever gotten a reward from the House of Pharoah or have you ever been invited to any royal functions, given that, you're the daughter of a noble man, Have we gained one thing from the royal treasurery let alone from the hand of Pharoah."

"Hadassah that's enough, don't vent your anger on Nefertiri. Stop blaming her for our family's misfortunes." Helena warns.

"No mother, I don't care, I'll talk to her as I see fit, she's just like Father, both of them think we're noble blood, but they're blind to the truth."

"And what truth are you talking about then?" Nefertiri folds her hands.

"Are you asking me that, do I have to spell out to you, or do I have to inscript it on your forehead you fool." Hadassah shouts.

"Enough Hadassah!!" Helena shuns her. "You will not address your elder sister like that."

"Why not mother, or are you supporting her foolish fantasies of living in the palace with maids at her feet, because that was also my fantasy too until I realised that everything is an illusion. A lie."

"So, how is it my problem if you think everything about our family is a lie. What is wrong with you Hadassah, why's your blood boiling?."

"You're the reason,"

"Me?"

"Yes Nefertiri, you're the reason
why my blood is boiling. You day dream of palace life. Thinking of a man, that will never belong to you."

"Tsk tsk tsk. What man are you taking about."

Hadassah scoffs. "The crown prince?.."

"Hadassah,quite saying nonsense, you of all people know that I don't like palace life." Nefertiri blurts out, Hadassah scoffs

"Oh please, save your explanation for the flees on the streets, don't think you can fool me, I'm not stupid, it's every girls dreams to be chosen in the selection, even you pray to be selected." Hadassah says as Helena turns to Nefertiri with widened eyes.