QOE | 006 | THE HOUSE OF RA

Chapter 06: The House Of Ra

At broad daylight, In the robing room of Pharoah Sethi the first, beyond the double square windows were the graceful buildings of Memphis palace.

Rameses stands looking at the streets. His glistening almond eyes scrutinizing the golden city.

He stood motionless like a god, his powerful limbs and shaven head and royal love gleams with its look of youth, alludes a vast strength of purpose and sense of destiny.

His clean shaven line of his jaw was arousing. His finely inscrutable face, was impossible to understand.

Motionless, he listens to the rumbling triumph roar from a hundred thousand throats screaming and shouting his name and that of his cousin. "Rameses! Nepthus! Rameses! Nepthus!.... Rameses! Nepthus!".

His father Pharaoh surrounded with slaves in waiting, is seated in a comfortable chair with a cushioned foot rest, as silent slaves array him for coronation ceremony.

Pharoah Seti is middle age man, middle sized, but his keen twinkling eyes show a wise discernment of his world, and his son.

The distant shouts continue over the streets, as a slave raises the royal foot of Pharaoh to be sandaled.

"Over the years I have watched you two grow to be men of valour, strength and wisdom and today you're deeds shall be know throughout the country." Pharaoh engages his son in a conversation.

"No doubt father." Rameses sighed.

"Is something troubling you Rameses?" Pharoah asked.

"Nothing father,"

"Son.. I may be the supreme leader of this land, but I'm also a concern father." Pharoah stated with sympathy lingering on his tongue, still Rameses said nothing.

"Your cousin Nepthus proclaims he's coming from afar, does he not my son?" Seti asked Rameses meaningly.

"Such favor with the people, could be dangerous, Great Sethi." Rameses replied turning to his father, revealing his round features and smouldering eyes.

"To whom, Rameses..... To me or to you?" Seti asked, as Rameses enters beside him. "It will not be the first time, that fame has turned a prince against his Pharaoh."

"Fame!...fame can lead to betrayal, nor that envy has turned a brother against his brother." Sethi said,

"Envy is for the weak." Rameses replies, watching as a slave put a broad collar of gold and gems about his father's neck. "Too tight" Sethi says as the slave loosens it a bit.

"Yes... yes ofcourse envy is for weak fools, and beauty is for the strong. Is that what you have in mind?" Sethi asked him.

"If you mean to say about the throne princess, there isn't any girl in harem that attracts me my father." Rameses says as his father fixes him with a keen eye.

"Ofcourse, but there are many maidens in the harem and you should know Rameses, once I crown a throne princess it will be her beauty that will attract you and the fact that she must marry the man I choose to follow me on the throne." Pharoah asked him drily.

"I am the son of your body. Who else could be your heir?" Rameses asked as Pharoah rises for a slave to invest him with the pendant of state.

"The man best able to rule Egypt will follow me, I owe that to my father's not to my son's." Pharaoh says strictly.

"Then I shall follow you." Rameses said.

"Shall you..., do not let ambition, shave your prince's lock of hair, I sent Nepthus to destroy a city, he returns in triumph, I sent you to build a city, where is it?" Pharoah asked.