QOE | 016 | OF CATS AND DOGS

Chapter 016: Of Cats And Dogs.

As fast as the wind could air the message, the news was unbelievably thrilling.

Today marks it the twentieth day since the edict has been announced, and the proclamation was still flitting across the country, even onto other kingdoms as well.

To begin with, It was a warm and sunny day, the sky was blue and crystal clear, the birds flew in formation, tweeting amongst themselves in the air.

Above, Egypt looked peaceful, but down below it wasn't a peaceful morning but rather a busy day.

After Pharaoh's encounter with the Empress, the whole country was still thrown into whirlwind. Everyone, including the rich, noble and wealthiest grumbled and murmured while the poor, middle class, and plebeians rejoiced over the great news.

At every corner of the kingdom everyone gossiped and whispered amongst themselves, from the highest vizier to the poorest man in Egypt, even the Akkadian slaves, all talked about the new edict Pharaoh had proclaimed, like he said in words:

"Let it be known that the madien of this year's selection will be chosen from any family in the kingdom, however once she is announced, she will not only be part of the royal family, but engaged to the crown prince. Signed by Pharaoh Sethi The First, Pharoah of All Egypt."

This proclamation is a huge blessing for any girl who gets chosen, her dreams practically carved out into a reality and not a tale.

But, if the citizens of Egypt are delighted, Queen Tuya was not. When the news got to the chief wife that morning, about the change pharoah had made, she raged in anger and resentment towards Kashi.

How could Pharoah assign The Empress to head this year's selection without informing her? She thought to herself. What Pharaoh had done was unforgivable, is he still angry at her or is her presence not important in the kingdom anymore? The Queen thought to herself as different assumptions crowded her mind.

The day Whati, her adviser read out the edict to her hearing, before he could finish the last sentence, out of loathe Tuya took the papyrus from him and tore it beyond repair.

It was also rumoured in the palace walls that the Empress was behind the slight change in the custom. But what could they could do, afterall Kashi is the Empress and second in command, so instead of tittering, everyone has no choice but to hold their breath and wait in the next three years to see the newly engaged bride to the crown prince.

And so, instead of complaining to herself, Tuya decided to visit Kashi's chambers to confront her about the matter. If she thinks the girl she'll bring into the palace will be Rameses betrothed, then she's playing with fire, because she will make sure Delilah becomes the Throne Princess, not some unknown middle class whore.

*****

Nonetheless, in the beautiful study of Empress Kashi, the astrologers and scribes paced back and forth rummaging through portraits, showing the Queen and telling her the details of each candidate.

Gracefully sipping her tea, every minute now and then, Kashi looks up to see three astrologers and three scribes all standing vertically unveiling a papyrus each, revealing the portrait of a maiden.