Chapter 10 - Bonding

"Potter?" Draco repeated as he stood in front of Harriet with his brow furrowed in concern.

Harriet bravely wiped away her tears and looked at him with red, watery eyes.

"Why are you crying?" Draco asked softly.

"Because we're not together." Harriet sniffed, "That's what you said."

"I thought that's what you wanted!" Draco exclaimed, "That's what you said!"

"I know it is!" Harriet snapped.

Harriet quickly put her hand back up to her face to wipe away the fresh batch of tears that sprung to her eyes against her will.

Draco frowned at his weeping mate as she turned her head away from home once again.

His mate.

His.

Draco understood what Harriet wanted better than she did.

After a very tense pause, Harriet glanced back over towards Draco and wordlessly, he opened his arms for her. They were still standing so near to each other that it only took one step for Harriet to cuddle against Draco's chest while he wrapped her in his embrace. Gently, he lifted her off of her feet and slipped their shoes off before he tucked himself and Harriet into the nest she'd made on his bed.

Draco lay back against the pillows and Harriet put her head down on his chest. She continued to weep softly while he tenderly stroked her hair and kissed the top of her head.

Harriet thought it felt lovely after so many years of loneliness and sadness, to lie there with her alpha, no matter who he was, to be held close by someone who loved her, someone she loved. It felt so lovely in fact, that Harriet could scarcely believe it was real as she listened to Draco's steady heartbeat.

But it was real.

He was real.

Their love was real.

Harriet felt a flutter against her ribs and her breath hitched in her throat.

Their baby was real.

"I wish you'd stop fighting me, Potter." Draco whispered, "You know I'm going to win one day, why don't you just give up?"

Harriet lifted her head and blinked her green eyes as she stared into her mate's grey orbs.

Draco expected Harriet to say something sarcastic but instead, she stretched to press her lips against his in a sweet, loving kiss. Draco wanted to pull back and force his omega to talk, to draw words out of her, to get her to express her emotions and feelings verbally, but Harriet's kisses were dangerously addictive to Draco.

He cupped one side of Harriet's face and closed his eyes as she deepened their kiss. Over and over, their lips met while they snuggled together under the warm blankets on the bed.

Draco didn't know what was better, the all-consuming enrapturement that Harriet's kisses brought him, the feeling of her full breasts pressed firmly against his chest, or the warmth of her heavy belly in his hands.

The only thing in the world at that moment that saddened Draco was the gut-wrenching knowledge that they couldn't stay in that second, in that room, in that bed, forever.

—————————————————————

"What are you doing, 'Cissa?" Lucius asked with narrowed eyes as he watched his wife order the house elves about as they brought in the newly selected food items for the evening and began to place them on the table.