Chapter 23 - Plans and Secrets

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Since they became engaged, Harriet and Draco felt that their lives had turned into whirlwinds of anxious activity.

It was a rapid and unexpected change from languishing about Malfoy manor, as they had done since Harriet had come to stay, to bustling about, planning the grand wedding.

The couple were lucky to steal a few minutes together when they woke up in the morning or a brief pause before they succumbed to sleep at the end of each exhausting day.

Draco had to fight his mother, the house elves, and the slew of people his parents wanted to hire to do this and that for his nuptials to spend any time at all with his infant son.

Narcissa was always eager to look after her beloved little Scorpius, and that conveniently freed up Draco to examine and debate over napkin options or potential tablecloths.

Draco would have much rather cuddled his baby.

Chubby Scorpius was a true joy to hold.

Snuggly, soft, and sweet, with Draco's blonde hair and Harriet's friendly disposition, the secret Malfoy effortlessly charmed his way into the heart of each person that he met.

As the wedding planning dragged on, Draco started to resent the whole process.

It seemed endless to him, the amount of people that Lucius and Narcissa deemed necessary for the event, the chefs, the planners, the decorators, the bakers, the endless array of supposedly vital services......

Of course Draco still wanted to marry Harriet, he just wanted to do it on his own terms, not the rest of the world's, and certainly not his parents'.

Harriet was in a similar position.

She also found the wedding planning frantic and stressful.

Harriet was very happy that she was still nursing Scorpius because she was fairly certain that if her little one had already weaned, entire days would pass where she wouldn't even have the opportunity to see her baby.

With the wedding planning itself though, Harriet was having a much more difficult time than Draco.

Between the dressmakers, the hair stylists, and the jewelers, the Malfoy-Potter wedding staff put a tremendous amount of pressure on the bride-to-be.

One evening, Draco finally joined his lover in their bedroom after he managed to escape his father's clutches.

Draco had grown tired of sitting through Lucius's many lectures about how important it was that the Malfoy-Potter wedding honor the ancestors of both house Malfoy and house Black.

That particular evening, Draco had barely been paying attention to Lucius's stern voice as the eldest Malfoy droned on and on.

In both families, Draco was the first to marry in over twenty years......

Draco was the sole heir to not one but two prestigious wizarding lines.....

Lucius's greatest mistake was only siring one son and Draco had better not commit the same error....

Draco was too exhausted to care anymore about his father's ideas.

His father's ideas.

That was the problem.

From the moment Harriet had agreed to marry him, Lucius and Narcissa had taken over with their ideas, not the betrothed couples' wants or needs.

Draco and Harriet were marrying for love and yet somehow, their day of sentiment was quickly evolving into becoming nothing more than a very formal, very public declaration of family wealth and nobility.