Chapter 22 - A Portrait of a Proposal

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

The plan that Hermione and Ron had assisted Draco with was tedious and subtle.

Draco was skeptical about Harriet's friends' ideas but he took their advice and proceeded with the actions that they recommended.

What he had mentioned to Harriet during their languid moments in bed that one morning had been true.

There was indeed a corridor in Malfoy manor that was lined with each generation's family portrait, which were made shortly after the birth of a new child.

There were several paintings on those walls that captured the likeness of Malfoys who had lived before cameras were in existence.

Draco's portrait hung in that long hallway.

In his picture, he was seated on Narcissa's lap with Lucius standing stoically behind them both.

Draco's father, Lucius, and grandfather, Abraxas,  had their own family portraits on display in that hall too, also taken when the Malfoy men were in their infancy.

It was easy for Draco to convince Harriet to let the photographer come, for Scorpius's sake.....

Despite her previous reluctance, Draco's omega understood that the fact she had birthed his son would become public knowledge at some point, with or without her consent.

No matter what happened between her and Draco, Harriet would always be the mother of a Malfoy.

Didn't she want that Malfoy to have a place on the portrait wall beside his father and ancestors?

One rainy afternoon, with Harriet's permission, the photographer Draco had hired arrived at the grand estate and the young family of three posed for him to capture their likeness.

Harriet sat on an ebony chair, dressed in a glimmering gown of gold and red, much to Draco's contempt, while she held little Scorpius on her lap, and Draco stood behind them both, in one of his usual, black suits.

Since Draco was directly behind Harriet, she didn't see him move his arm out to the right during one of the camera's flashes while the photographer snapped his shots.

In Harriet's lap, baby Scorpius was adorably clothed in what resembled a little suit similar to his father's.

The photographer completed his work relatively quickly.

With a few waves of his wand afterwards, the photographer presented the finished pictures to the Malfoys.

He respectfully stepped back while Harriet and Draco looked over the images and decided which photographs they most preferred.

Harriet stood beside her alpha while they gazed over the magical pictures that had been laid out across the dining table while Scorpius cuddled against his mother and cooed softly.

"His eyes are closed in this one." Harriet said, pointing at one photograph before she pushed that particular picture over to the side.

"And your eyes are closed in this one. He must get that from you, Potter." Draco remarked as he pushed another picture over to the side as well.

Harriet scowled at Draco in silent irritation.

The photographer quietly walked up behind Harriet's alpha and slipped an extra, very special, picture that he had captured into the hand that Draco held behind his back.

Scorpius whimpered softly and Harriet bent down to kiss his tiny, round head as Draco asked, "Tell me, Potter, what do you think of this one?"

Draco moved his hand out from behind his back and placed the secret picture onto the table for Harriet to view.