81 - Recent Dead

Father, please forgive me for I know not what I do,
I just never had a chance to ever meet you.
Therefore, I did not know that I would grow to be,
My mother's evil seed and do these evil deeds.
Eminem, evil deeds.

Consciousness came a split second after I sucked in my first lungful of air voraciously, like a fish out of water, like I had batted off death's grip on my throat and I spluttered, choking on oxygen, feeling life return to my body; a tremor trembled my body and I could hear the pounding of my pulse in my ear, a tingling sensation racing up my arms and legs - and something abhorrently wet.

My eyes flew open; light and colours burned my vision and my gaze watered from the sting. With my senses buzzing; my hand gripping the soft shaggy carpet, my leg under my body uncomfortably and a foul and dry taste on my tongue, the realisation that I was alive again became apparent to me. I shot upright and dizziness overcame me; I bowed in submission, clutching my head. Every movement I made was slow and I saw the echo image of my arm moving towards my head.

A hand squeezed my shoulder and pain shot to my muscles although I was sure the hold wasn't painful. "Take it easy."

"Mother's alive?!"

"Hans, back the hell off. I need you to do something: go to each bathroom and fill up the bathtub. Can you do that?"

The sound of a door slamming bounced around the room and I lifted my head and the room came into focus; everything became clear; the sharp contrast of the black painted wall and white furniture, the rising bodies of the others, the bandaged arm of the golden haired man, the confused look on the giant man, and the slow standing of the dark-coloured women.

Filthy creatures.

There was a small dark-haired girl on the sofa and I pulled myself up, yelling. "Ellie? Ellie!"

"She's fine!" Ajax shouted, quickly moving in front of me and holding me back. "She's asleep."

"Asleep?" Darius questioned, hoisting himself with the help of his hand on the wall.

"Well... passed out, same difference," Ajax said. "We need to have a talk, obviously. You all died and now you're back. I'm sure you have a few questions."

"By who?" Phoebe asked the dreaded question.

Ajax delayed his answer, uncertainty colouring his dark features and he rested his hand on the hilt on his sword.

"Who did it? Who was the slaughterer?" Orion insisted indignantly.

"Ellie," he answered quietly. "Ellie murdered you."

The tension in the room flared like fire; burning any trust we had and each gaze flew to her with unease and our stances changed; turning away, a strain followed. Darius uttered the dirty taboo, bringing the nail to the coffin. "She killed us."

Animosity thrived amongst the recent dead.

+

"How are we alive?"

"I'll tell you once you've cleaned up. You've uh, you've soiled your clothes. I tried cleaning up after your cat-fight and saw to your wounds but I didn't clean you up," Ajax appeared repelled, urging. "You guys stink of shit and piss. If you want your answers you'll need to shower first."

+

Silence was all consuming in the house. The wickedness of the sin committed left a stale taste on our tongues but back to the land of living with a god under the roof brought the tongues wagging. Freshened up, our clothes in a bag to be burnt, everyone gathered in the kitchen.