12 : Solo Toffee Sex

I was woken to the soft feel of Mum's lips on my cheek and then her whisper in my ear. "Happy birthday, darling. I'll see you later for celebrations after I come back from work."

I mumbled something unintelligent, not even bothering to open my eyes and as I heard my door softly click shut, I fell back into the dream I was having...

"Hello?" I called, pushing the rusty and almost broken gate open. Something fluttered past my face and I threw my arms up to cover my face, letting out a small shriek. My heart thudded loudly in shock and fear of what was out there. I knew I shouldn't be here but something or someone compelled me, called me and I couldn't stop myself from taking the steps forward. "Is - is anyone there?"

There was a whisper and from the corner of my eye, I saw a shadow run past. Eyes wide, I spun around only to see...nothing. I swallowed, feeling the hairs on my neck stand up as I felt the presence of someone behind me. I slowly turned - and then relief flooded me. "Deacon? Oh, thank god!"

His lips were tilted into a half smile while his eyes locked me into place. "What are you doing here?"

"I...I don't know. Wait," I gave him a curious and suspicious look. "Why are you here?"

"Because you called me, silly." He chuckled lowly and I shook my head in confusion.

"What? I didn't - I never called you...?"

"Of course you did, why else would I be here?"

"I," I shook my head once more, furrowing my eyebrows. "Where are we?"

"Look," Deacon pointed a finger upwards, completely disregarding my question. "A mistletoe."

I looked at the dark, slightly curled plant in bewilderment. "But it's not Christmas yet! It's - it's November!"

"God," Deacon threw his head back, his tone annoyed. "Why are you such a buzz-kill? Just kiss me." He puckered his lips, and I noticed the sudden cold look in his eyes.

"No!" I tried running back but his hand latched onto my arm, flinging me against his chest and then he was cupping my face.

"You're always running away, hurting my feelings," he pouted, his gaze dropping. "But I know how you can make up for that."

"Deacon, don't!" I struggled against his harsh kiss and I felt myself going colder and more withdrawn. Slowly, I was losing energy and when he finally released me, I had to cling onto him for fear of falling.

"What - what did you do?" I asked blearily, as my sight blurred.

"I JUST kissed you!" He suddenly yelled in my face, making me jump and fall to the hard ground; he laughed.

"You don't 'just' kiss someone," I muttered, feeling the ground with frozen hands as I tried pulling myself up.

Deacon hunkered down, a half smile on his face as he flicked at my nose. "Hey...do you like me?"

"Um..." I half squinted my eyes, careful of my words. "Is this a trick question?"

"No, you idiot. But you should like me, I'm a nice guy and I can make your experience of sex amazing." He sniffed, standing up. "Not to brag or anything, but you know, losing your virginity to me sounds like a great idea."

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I shot him a look of disgust and he swallowed, clutching at his chest and drooping.

"Ah! Your silent refusal burns! I'm melting," he screeched out dramatically.

I backed away quickly, eyes wide with fear and disgust as he truly looked like he was melting; his skin dripping like wax of a candle stick. "What the hell!"

"Hey!"

"Get off me!" I tried pushing his heavy body away but it was as if it was made out of stone.

"Hey doofus! Get up!"

I shot upright, my body dripping with sweat and my hands frantically feeling the safe heaven of my covers. As I drew in my surroundings, I flopped back onto my bed, my heart beating rapidly in my chest and my eyes half closed in relief. "Crap...it was a dream, Ellie. Sorry to have waken you, go back to sleep."

"It's eight o' clock, you're going to be late for school." Ellie raised an eyebrow, leaning against my doorway.

"Damn!" I swore, throwing back my covers and running out of bed.

"Hey, happy birthday, by the way," Ellie called as I ran into the bathroom.

"Thanks," I replied, catching the square package she threw. I locked the bathroom door, and proceeded to get ready.

As I was walking back into my room, a towel drying my hair and the other hand carrying the present Ellie gave me, I tossed the towel and package on my bed, going over to my wardrobe and picking out the clothes I had set the night before. I applied my make-up, setting my books into my bag and then picking up the present.

"What the hell," I whispered, staring at the diary's first page, it read;

Happy birthday, Bea!

Got you this so you can write out your teenage bullshit drama, use it well! ;) xoxo Ellie.

I slowly dropped onto my bed, feeling the blood drain from my face as my mind recalled memories of the conversation with Deacon -weeks back- when I had been trying to tell him my problems and what he had said to me. Something about getting a diary and writing out my 'teenage bullshit drama'. It couldn't be a coincidence and why on earth would Ellie ever write that? She wouldn't. Chills crawled at me and I quickly jumped off the bed, grabbing my bag and running down the stairs. "Ellie?"

"Hey Ells!" I rounded the hallway corner into the kitchen to find it empty but I saw a note stuck to the fridge. I ripped the yellow sticky note off only to find Ellie's departure for school.

I sighed heavily; I wouldn't worry about it now, instead I'll ask her later when she's home. Grabbing a going-cold toast, I started to spread some butter on it but the knife slipped when I heard the garage door bang.

If Ellie was at school, Mum at work...who could it be? Grabbing the knife off the floor with shaking hands, I exited the kitchen, calling out in the dark garage, "Hello? Who's there? I've got a knife!" My voice was shaky and wobbly and would probably make an intruder laugh instead of quiver with fright.

No one replied. Blindly, I slid my hand up and down the gritty wall, feeling for a light switch and then quickly flicking it on.

My hand dropped and I sighed, turning back to head into the kitchen. "I'm imagining things or going crazy...either's better than having a potential burglar in the house though."

* ** ** ** **** *** **

"This day cannot get any worse." I muttered, uttering a tired sigh and half closing my eyes.

The man, who introduced himself as Cade Hudson was also the one who stole my drink and bumped into me in the forest, shot his gaze towards me. "I'm sure you're all grown up enough to realise the dangers of 'stranger danger' but there are a few things that I believe you would benefit from knowing..." He stood at the front of the class, dressed in a sharp-looking, black suit and a easy going smile on his face - which looked fake to me.

As he droned on, I leaned towards Kelly, whispering. "Is this guy for real?"

"He's hot, shut up." Kelly dreamily sighed, twirling her hair with a wistful look on her face.

"You have a boy-"

"Is there a problem?"

I slowly turned back, looking up and grimacing at the face of Cade Hudson. He quirked an eyebrow at me, leaning forward so I caught the scent of a rough aftershave. "If I'm boring you, you can leave."

I turned red as every eye turned towards me, including the evil eye of my teacher who had warned us to be on our best behaviour. "No, there's no problem." I got out through gritted teeth, hoping the floor would swallow me whole. "You can carry on,"

"I see," he half smiled, although his eyes were hard and pinned me to my chair and he stood there for a second too long before walking off. "We believed there is a man, a very dangerous man on the run and he's using your town as a hideout..."

I paled, automatically thinking of Deacon and wondering what the hell he had done and why these men were after him. Was it that bad?

"...if you see this man, do not approach him and come directly to us. I cannot stress how important this is. Contact us and stay away from him... That is all." Cade cleared his throat, looking around before our teacher smiled a little bit too cheerfully at him and said.

"Oh, well, round of applause, class. Thank you very much for coming to speak to us," she gushed at Cade who looked slightly confused at the half-hearted claps.

"It's no problem," Cade began handing out small cards as two other men -who I remembered were with him before- began doing the same. General chatter filled the classroom as our teacher took to flirting with one of the men, who had blonde hair and a straight expression against her advances.

"He's so perfect," Kelly couldn't take her gaze of Cade and she nudged me. "Tell me you wouldn't jump that,"

I looked at him, before looking back at her. "I wouldn't." I lied.

"I should ask for his number," Kelly ignored me, a thoughtful expression on her face.

"He's like, twenty six, Kelly." I sighed, doodling on my book.

"Actually, I'm twenty four," Cade appeared, passing Kelly and I both small white cards that stated his name and a number. I hesitated before taking mine, noticing the weird look Cade was giving me. "What?" I blurted out before I could stop myself.

He shrugged slightly, looking around before leaning in slightly. "I do hope you'd report this man to me if you ever see him, I couldn't begin to think what could happen to you if you'd be so foolish as to withhold information."

"That sounds like a threat." I narrowed my eyes, and crossed my arms across my chest, giving him my best glare.

"Think of it as a warning instead," Cade nodded at me before he moved on and I turned to Kelly.

"Did you see that?"

"He was just looking out for you. There was no need for you to be so rude."

"What?" I exclaimed, scoffing. "Um, hello, Kelly. I wasn't being rude...anyway, I can look out for myself."

"Can you?" She asked doubtfully.

I nodded, crushing the card he had given me. "I can."

**** **** ****

"Are you ever going to tell me?" I stood in front of Deacon, arms crossed and hip cocked.

"Ah, she finally returns," Deacon exclaimed with annoyance evident in his tone, he didn't bother opening his eyes as he said. "Move a bit to the left, sun's in my eyes."

I moved completely out of the way, letting the rare sighting of the sun in the winter shine on him. He slowly opened his eyes, giving me a hard look. "Are you still pissed at the whole kissing drama? Get over it, Doll. That was ages ago."

"Why are there men after you?" I cut to the chase, being sure to stay a distance away from him but close enough to see every emotion pass his face.

"They're gay."

"Seriously."

He was silent for some time, before he sighed. "It's none of your-"

"Shut the hell up! Of course it's my business! If you've done something-"

"I haven't." He retorted sharply, his jaw locked and his mood turning darker.

"Well then, you won't mind telling me why the hell you're here." I flopped down, ripping open a toffee packet and in response to his flickering eyes, said. "And you're not getting any until I hear the full story."

"You bring a new definition to the word bitch."

"And you bring a new definition to the word run away."

"I'm not-"

"You're running from something. I want to know what."

"...You're lucky I like you," he grumbled before throwing out another dramatic sigh and beginning in a deep voice. "Long ago in a land far, far away, where angels twerked and demons grinded-"

"You're not funny."

He laughed but quickly stopped at my evil eye directed at him. "One toffee and I swear I'll be serious."

"One," I repeated, chucking him the small sweet.

He unwrapped it, groaning loudly. "Hell," he whispered, closing his eyes. "I'm in love."

"Okay, enough with the solo toffee sex." I clicked my fingers at him.

"One more and I'll begin." He begged, his eyes twinkling mischievously.

I waited, unwrapping wrappers and popping toffees in my mouth. He groaned again but this time out of frustration. "Once upon a time, I popped out of this lady who was a common whore. I grew up in a not-so-typical house where I learnt to kill greedy and selfish bitches with horrible names who never realised they could do without the extra toffee pounds. Yes, that was a very subtle reference to you."

"You're not going to tell me."

He snorted. "You were delusional to think I would."

"I guess this is goodbye then,"

"You're not being serious." He looked at me in exasperation.

"Bye Deacon." I stood up, putting away my things and walking off. Ignoring his yells, I clenched my teeth together and forced myself to take the steps away from him.

It wasn't ten minutes later when I was yanked back into a hard chest and his arms came around my waist. "You really do suck." Deacon muttered in my ear.

"Deacon..." I tried moving away and ignoring the feelings he arose in me. I felt my heart beating faster and my spine tingle in a good way.

Surprising me, he began blowing softly into my ear and then as I was opened my mouth to ask him what he was doing, he placed a kiss under my ear. Confused and shocked, I could only blink widely as he continued to place kisses along my neck. He slowly grazed my skin with his teeth and I swallowed, before regaining my common sense and ripping myself out of his hold. "What the hell."

"Don't tell me you didn't like it." He had a cocky, half smile on his face that only showed how arrogant he was being.

"What - no, I don't - I don't get you, Deacon." I stressed, clenching my eyes and placing a hand on my neck. "What was that?!"

"What's not to get? I'm all about great sex and charm." He smiled. "That was you falling in love with me."

"You're delusional."

"Whatever. So, are you really leaving?"

"Are you going to tell me?"

He gave me this look that showed me he wasn't going to say a word and I sighed, turning around and lifting a hand in goodbye.

Having taken quite a few steps forward, I stopped, clutching my backpack and turning around. "Hey!"

He took off running, his loud, joyful laughter seconds behind him and my toffee packet in his hand.

I groaned.

**** **** ****

"This party sucks," Ross muttered, kicking at the purple wrapping paper that littered the floor.

I shot him a glare. Mum had spent ages decorating the living room and spent hours making the cake. Even though I was now seventeen, and this birthday party was more suited to a seven year old, I didn't want to hurt Mum's feelings.

"Stop being a bitch and eat your cake." I hissed at him.

"It would've tastes better with a splash of rum." Ross said and Ali and Kelly both agreed.

"Ooh!" Mum said suddenly, "I forgot about Mr Jones next door..."

"Yes, get more old people in here...ouch!"

I stomped on Ross's foot before smiling at Mum. "I'll go give him," I took the plate with the slice of cake she offered me along with a fork. "I'll be right back."

Going out in the cold, bitter air was a refreshing breather against the stuffy and crowded living room however I still wished I had brought a jacket along as chills raised the hairs on my arms. Mr Jones was a widow who mostly kept to himself and his gardening. An old man with a crumbling smile and tired eyes, he wasn't one to socialise. I knocked on his door, hopping from foot to foot before knocking again. "Mr Jones?" I leaned down, yelling into his letterbox. "It's me, Beatrice!"

There was no sounds of shuffling or his wheezy cough and confused, I leaned against the door, trying to see if I could hear better.

The door slowly creaked open.

"Uh..." I looked at it, before pushing it open and stepping in. "Hey, Mr Jones, your door was open..." There was still no response and the coldness in the house brought more chilling chills to my body than the outside air.

I could tell something was wrong. Something extremely bad.

Hesitantly, I poked my head around his living room door only to find it empty. It didn't seem disturbed either and I set down the plate on the glass table, straightening up and heading to the kitchen.

I froze in the doorway, the tendrils of a horrified scream stuck in my throat and my eyes bulging as I stared. "Hello Beatrice," Mr Jones was floating in mid air, his clothes torn and his skin a worrying yellow. His voice was raspy and dry like sandpaper and sounded almost...demonic. "I want you to deliver a message for me."

He smiled and his eyes rolled back, mouth opening and out gushed a river of blood - and his body fell messily to the floor. It splashed and hit everywhere and all over my shocked body - and then the scream was let rip. I stumbled back, gasping and frantically trying to escape the nightmare. Sobs hit my throat and the scream seemed to linger around the room.

I hit a hard body and I stilled. Swallowing hard, I let my hands feel the chest of the person before I spun around to face...Cade Hudson.

He held out the crumpled card he had given me and I had discarded. He raised an eyebrow, his soft voice almost melodic but scornful as he said. "You know, this might just come in handy...idiot."

-----> vote :)