34 : The Dumb Slut

"You're going on a date!" Kelly squealed loudly, more excited than I was.

When Kelly and Ali had approached me, demanding why I had been deserting them and asking what I was doing this afternoon, I had no choice but to use Ajax as an excuse. I nodded and then Ali and I winced as Kelly squealed again, this time louder.

"I just remembered...I have to go uh, see Mr Holden for um, this thing," Ali raced off after shooting me a pitying smile. "Have fun on your date, Bea!"

"When can I meet this guy?!"

I opened up a packet of sour sweets, offering some to Kelly who shook her head before saying. "I didn't know you'd turned into my mother, Kells."

She waved me off. "When did you meet him? Is he hot? Does he have an equally hot brother or friend?"

"Uh..." Just as I was about to explain who exactly Ajax was and how Kelly does know him, someone interrupted us from behind in a cold voice.

"The bell rang five minutes ago. Why are you not in lesson?"

I turned to see Orion standing behind us with an indifferent mask on his face while his eyes narrowed darkly. He wore a charcoal suit that fitted his lean figure perfectly.

I heard Kelly's sharp intake of breath and she muttered. "Sweet Jesus..."

"We were just going," I said, nudging Kelly in her ribs to snap her out of her awed state. "Kelly?"

"Huh?" she couldn't tear her eyes away from Orion even if her life had depended on it. "Uh. I mean, sorry sir, we were just going."

"Hurry," Orion said before snatching the packet of sweets away from me. "Don't you know the school rules, Miss Daniels?"

I tried wiping the glare off my face at his intrusive and rude attitude but I struggled. "There's no school rule about having sweets--"

"Actually, there is. Perhaps you'd like a detention to learn them all after school?" He smiled down at me cynically before spitting. "Get to lesson. Now."

"Bea!" Kelly hissed lowly as I opened my mouth to snap out a retort, she took me by the arm, dragging me away as I shot Orion a scathing last glance.

"That bastard!"

"Oh, shush, you," she shrugged my anger away. "I would gladly spend detention with him; he is so fine!"

"He's a dick. I miss the old head."

Kelly scoffed, opening the classroom door and shooting me a disbelieving look over her shoulder. "Like hell you do. There must be something wrong with you if you prefer an old man compared to someone who looks like they could be a male model for underwear."

"With a bag over their infuriating and egotistic head," I couldn't help but mutter, annoyed. "Sorry we're late, Mrs, we got held up..."

*****

"We are going to have a talk when I get home, Beatrice."

"What did I do now, Mum?" It was lunchtime and with dread, I realised I had four missed calls from my mother. It was only after I realised I had better get it over and done with that I decided to call her before she blew a fuse and I got a very, very angry text message.

"Another detention! Another one! And your head teacher tells me your grades are slipping and you've been showing attitude! I want you to come straight home after your detention today --!"

"What?! I don't have a detention today..." I trailed off as Orion came around the corner, leaning against the wall as he gave me a small, mocking smile. "You bitch!"