6 : Death Of Me

"Do you need help?" I asked Ellie as I watched her struggling to get up from the armchair.

She nodded, "Please,"

I hoisted her up as she slipped her arms into her crutches, wobbling slightly before regaining her posture. Ellie had spastic cerebral palsy which means she has trouble with her muscle movement and she uses her crutches most of the time for help. The speech part of her brain is also mildly affected, which can cause Ellie to speak a lot more slowly or stumble and stutter over words.

"There," she had given me a shrug to back off and I did so, respectively.

"So," I scratched the back of my head, "you going out?"

She nodded, looking at herself in the mirror. "Where? And who are you going with?"

"What are you, my mum?" She scowled and I held my hands up in surrender.

"Hey, I'm just looking out for you."

"Whatever," she muttered and rolled her eyes, slowly ambling out of the room, moments later I heard the front door slam shut.

I sat down in her armchair, looking around the small living room before bounding up to my room and going to my safe. Mum was at work, Ellie was out and I was not going to stay at home and do nothing.

** ** ** ** **

"You sure do eat a lot, don't you?" Mr Harrison chuckled, raising his eyebrows as he placed the items in a carrier bag after scanning them.

"It's not only for me." I felt the need to point out. Chicken sandwiches, toffee packets, long lace sweets, purple Dairy Milk, and two large chocolate milkshakes peeked out the top of the bag.

"Alright then. That's...£8.92 please,"

I fished in my pocket, handing him a ten pound note before grabbing the bag. My eyes went wide as I struggled to not drop the heavy bag, I grabbed my change, my voice a strain as I said, "Thank you." and then left the shop.

"Christ," I muttered as I dragged the bag up the road, I went past the gate and up the stairs, looking around cautiously before slipping into the forest. From there, I walked forward, knowing Deacon would pop up soon with the amount of noise I was making.

However, after more than ten minutes of blundering around, there was no sign of him and I was sure at the sight of food he'd make his presence known as soon as possible.

"Deacon?" I called, dropping the bag behind a bush, making sure it was out of sight. The small trickle of a river was right in front of me, and bending down, I rolled up my jeans. I made my way through the river, never once having been on this side of the forest and truly realising the beauty of it.

It was quieter, more peaceful and calm with less human damage to the surroundings. Flowers here weren't trampled on, and trees weren't ripped down for wood and the grass was clean and sprung. It was like some sort of Other side.

I made sure to be quiet, trying to keep my path simple and straight, and then I heard soft breathing.

The soft breathing of a beautiful, sleeping man who was barely covered against the bitter wind and cold afternoon fog. I edged closer to Deacon, looking around at the surrounding in surprise.

Nearby was a tent with a large duffel bag and black backpack outside it. From the small opening of the backpack I could see clothes and a brown book, while the duffel bag was close. I looked at Deacon's sleeping face before looking at the tent.

As I reached out to unzip the tent, a sharp voice stopped me.

"What the hell are you doing?"

I jumped, twirling around with a guilty look. "Oh, uh, hey Deacon."

He was glaring, and he got up, marching over to me and shaking my shoulders. "Where you checking my things?"

"No, I-"

"Don't lie to me!" He hissed, furiously in my face. He looked livid and I struggled to get away from the suddenly frightening man.

"I'm not, I swear Deacon, I was about to but I didn't!"

He stared at me for a long time, his face a angry mask before he released me. "I'll believe you..." He smiled and I let out a sigh of relief, smiling also.

"Yeah? That's - oof!" He slammed me against a tree trunk, his hand on my throat and his face extremely close to mine. His menacing dark, thrashing-ocean eyes glared down at me.

"If you ever try touching my things again, I'll slit your wrist, hang you up by a tree upside down and leave you there." His stubbled cheek grazed mine as he harshly whispered in my ear. "Understand?"

With my heart about to jump out of my chest and my eyes wide with fear, I nodded. "Yeah, yeah, of course, I understand."

"Okay." He rested his forehead on mine and I pressed myself into the tree, watching his eyes darken as he wiped all traces of fear from his face. "I don't like threatening you," he murmured lowly, his voice deep. "But sometimes I have to, I have no other choice."

I swallowed hard, not liking the strong grip his hands had on my hips. "What are you doing?"

"I'm sorry," he whispered, his breath blowing softly on my neck.

Without meaning to, my back arched and I leaned onto him.

"Do you forgive me?" He lifted his head up slightly from my neck and unable to meet his strong gaze, I nodded, pressing my lips into a line.

"Do you?" Cold fingers grazed my jawline and I turned my head away from him sharply.

"I do."

He took a step back and I breathed a heavy sigh of relief, pushing my shoulders forward and rolling my neck to ease the pain.

I watched him as he watched me closely. I wanted to leave and never come back. When he was threatening me and hurting me, I hated him. It scared and thrilled me, and I couldn't seem to find the words to speak. And then he would suddenly be nice and apologetic. I didn't understand his behaviour but I did understand my want to leave.

"Did you bring anything for me?"

I nodded, wordlessly and he reached forward, holding my hand.

"Lead the way," he smiled although it didn't reach his eyes and with what felt like a constricting chain on my hand, I led him back to where I left the bag.

He stood behind me as I reached for the bag and then didn't make a move to hold the bag when I held it out for him.

"Open it."

"I need to go home soon,"

"Yeah?" His dark eyes watched me, suspicion swimming in them and then he smiled again. "You didn't come to just bring me food, did you?"

I nodded, and he reached forward, bringing me into a hug against his hot, hard body. "Thank you," he murmured lowly, before releasing me after holding on for a couple of long seconds. "Do you need me to help you find a way back?"

I shook my head. "I can find it,"

"If you're sure-"

"I am," I nodded firmly and moved to step past him however he struck out his arm.

"Are you going to come tomorrow?"

I shrugged and said, cautiously. "I don't know. I might be busy."

"Well, if you can find some time to come and visit me I'd appreciate it."

I nodded and he gave me a gesture to leave. I hurried away, trying not to make it look like I was running. As I looked back, I caught the cold glare that quickly changed into a fake smile and my heart thumped faster than it ever had.

I had to stay away from him or he'd be the death of me.

---------> vote :)