Chapter 1 - Izzy Will Make You Feel Better

Izzy and Roman finally meet in this chapter! You're going to love it 🤩

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Three days had passed since I came home from prison and for those three days I spent most of my time working with my father, Alex and his father

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise since it got me out of answering too many questions about my experiences inside.

My father was absolutely determined to get me up to date with everything I'd missed. That meant I hadn't seen much of the rest of my family after our dinner the first night I came home.

I did manage to have breakfast with mama the next day and I saw Catalina when she was going to school dressed in her uniform. Apart from that I hadn't seen much of anyone since. That included my brother Lucero who was away for the next few months on business.

But I finally got a chance to take Renata for the walk to the clearing that I'd promised her.

"I missed you Roman."

Her soft voice broke through the peacefulness around us as she slipped her hand into mine.

"I missed you too." I murmured as we walked further into the woods. "It didn't feel like a family without you here, Ro. I don't know how to explain it."

"What do you mean?" She sighed, mulling over her answer as we walked.

"Joanna and I found it hard here without you and...Lucero, well the fact he was happy that you were gone just caused a rift between us."

"He was happy?" Now that I think about it, I honestly don't know why I was shocked at first.

He tried to kill me when he found out he wouldn't be the one to take over his father's position as the boss. He didn't think an adoptive son deserved the title so he took it upon himself to kill me. So why wouldn't he be happy when I was thrown into prison?

That explains why he was away doing 'business' in the French Riviera around the time I was released from prison.

"Lucero is a dick. But anyway, there were so many fractures in our family. Alex was busy working with Elías and Lucero running the day to day business of the cartel. Dad was busy working too. It was like they all threw themselves into their work so that they wouldn't feel your loss."

I released a sigh as I helped her step over a large tree root in the ground.

We were a close family. We had to be since most of us worked together on a daily basis and we all lived here too. So it wasn't easy for me to hear that they weren't close while I was gone and that my absence ruined the balance at home.

"Let's change the subject. How's college?"

She immediately launched into a long story, telling me all about her classes that she was taking as a second year med student. Even though I had no freaking clue what half of it was, I didn't mind listening to her. For two years I'd yearned to have a conversation with her that wasn't all about how my life was going in prison and how their lives were on the outside.