Chapter 25 - We Would Have Made A Good Team

⚠️TW - PLEASE READ WITH CAUTION ⚠️

There's a lot of tears and emotional breakdown in this chapter 🥺

Don't forget to vote and comment❤️

The first two days after the miscarriage went by the same way that night did

Although her sickness eased up, the pain from the miscarriage and the medication didn't. So we just lay there in her bed.

If she was asleep I used the chance to do some work when I felt up to it. Otherwise I just lay there with her, also sleeping whenever I could.

She did try a few times to put the TV on or to make herself busy on her phone but I don't think she was really concentrating. She seemed lost in her own thoughts, obviously about the miscarriage.

Usually I could never lie in silence for so long and do absolutely nothing - I did enough of that in prison for two years. But after the emotionally exhausting events of the last few days, it was actually a relief to just lie in a comfortable silence with her.

We only spoke when I asked if she was feeling okay, when we talked about food and the fact she needed to start eating again after the sickness, and when I went with her to the bathroom. I was still doing that because the blood still hadn't reduced. But I didn't mind if it made it easier for her.

By the third day she seemed to be feeling a little better, physically at least. She started eating light foods that I prepared for her and her cramping pain seemed to have reduced. She was also sleeping less and paying a little more attention to whatever she put on the TV. This improved on the fourth day and by the fifth, she was even willing to speak to me a little, even if she was still crying quite a lot.

By now I was used to her just sniffling away next to me. Sometimes I'd try to comfort her but most of the time I could tell she preferred to just cry without interference.

She was technically mourning after all.

Apart from talking about the necessities, we didn't speak. So when she broke the silence during her breakfast time, I was surprised to say the least.

"How are you doing?" I looked away from the document I was reading on my laptop but she kept her eyes focused on her toast.

"I'm okay."

It was probably a crappy answer, but I honestly didn't know what else to say. On one hand I wasn't expecting her question and on the other, I didn't want to tell her truth because she had been through way worse than I had. My feelings just weren't as important as hers.

"Thank you for what you've done, Roman. I know it hasn't been easy for you." Part of me felt like she was saying it because she felt like she had to, she was too nice not to say thank you.